Connect Hardware to the Square Point of Sale App on Android Devices
Connect a Ethernet Receipt Printer to Your Android
Supported Ethernet Receipt Printer
|Star Micronics TSP143LAN||Desktop. 80mm/3" receipt paper (58mm/2" receipt paper cannot be used for Square Point of Sale app)|
To get started, make sure your printer has an Ethernet interface.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable into the rear panel of the printer, and plug the other end of the cable into the wireless router’s Ethernet port.
- Connect the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the power switch on the printer side.
To connect multiple devices to the same Ethernet printer, follow these steps with each Android device. You can also print copies of the same receipt to multiple printers from one device.
Note: Your printer must have an Ethernet interface. You can order swappable interfaces but be sure to request the Ethernet connection type on your printer.
Connect a USB Receipt Printer to Your Android
Supported USB Receipt Printer
|Star TSP143GT/TSP143IIIU||Desktop. 80mm/3" receipt paper (58mm/2" receipt paper cannot be used for Square Point of Sale app)|
- Plug your supported USB receipt printer into a power source.
- Plug your printer into your Android device using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) adaptor.
Note: To connect a USB receipt printer or cash drawer, your Android device must support USB On-The-Go (OTG) or USB Host mode.
Connect a Printer to Your Square POS app
When you connected your Android to either Ethernet or USB printer, open the POS app, then follow the steps below:
- Tap three horizontal lines.
- Tap Settings > Printers > Create Printer Station.
- Enter the name of the Printer Station.
- Toggle on Receipts, Bills, Reports, Open Cash Drawers. Toggle on Order Tickets and Order Ticket Stubs, if necessary.
- Tap Printer.
- Select your printer. To test your connection, tap Test Print
Point: If you cannot find your printer name, this means that your Wifi or USB is not connected properly. Make sure to check your Wifi or USB connection.
- Tap the back arrow.
- Tap Save.
Connect a Cash Drawer to Your Android Device
There are two options for connecting a cash drawer to the Square app on your Android device:
- Link your cash drawer directly to a supported receipt printer.
- Connect your cash drawer directly to your Android device via a USB OTG adaptor.
Once the cash drawer is set up, it’ll automatically open in the following scenarios:
- Cash payments
- Cash refunds
- Payments entered as checks or other-tender gift cards
Connect a USB Bar Code Scanner to your Android Device
To connect a supported bar code scanner, your device must be running Android 5.0 software and you’ll need a micro USB to USB adaptor. To get set up:
- Open the Square app on your device.
- Plug the USB bar code scanner into your Android device using the adaptor.
- The app will notify you when an accessory has been attached.
Connect Hardware to the other devices (iPad or iPhone)
To connect hardware to your iPad, view Connect Hardware to iPads
To connect hardware to your iPhone, view Connect a Printer to an iPhone