Learn how to customise your item modifiers for order entry. Before getting started, make sure you’ve completed the following:
Note: You must be using the most recent version of the Square app to customise item modifiers for order entry.
Set Up Customised Modifiers
To customise modifiers:
- Select an item to view its details.
- Choose a modifier set by clicking Customise.
- Determine the number of modifiers: Choose how many modifiers can be selected for an order by clicking the arrows next to Required Modifiers and Maximum Modifiers.
- Pre-select modifiers: Automatically apply specific modifiers to an item each time it’s added to a sale. Select an item’s default modifiers by ticking the box next to Pre-Selected.
- Hide modifiers from your customers: Hide modifiers from customer receipts by ticking the box next to “Hide modifiers from customer.” These modifiers will appear on order tickets for your kitchen, but not on printed or digital receipts.
- Apply your rules to other items: To quickly apply Required, Maximum, Pre-selected or Hidden modifier settings to other items in your library, click Apply This Configuration to Other Items > select item(s) from your library > Assign Items.
- Click Done.
Tips for Customising Item Modifiers
- To make sure your customers can only select one option from an item’s modifier set, set the Required Modifiers to 1 and Maximum Modifiers to 1.
- Apply customied modifiers to all related items in your library, such as sandwiches that share the same modifier sets and customization options.
Use Customised Modifiers in the Square App
Use the following example to see how customised modifiers work in the Square app.
- Cream Cheese: For this modifier set, Required Modifiers and Maximum Modifiers are both set to 1. The cashier can only select one cream cheese option for the Sesame Bagel item.
- Bagel Toppings: The first four modifier options (Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, and Lox), are marked as Pre-selected in the Square Dashboard so the cashier automatically sees these options when selecting the Sesame Bagel item. The cashier can make any adjustments to the order as normal, or tap Save to add the item to the cart.