Square Loyalty Overview
With Square Loyalty, you can create a digital loyalty rewards program that will keep your customers coming back again and again – with incentives they earn with each purchase.
How Square Loyalty Works
Your customers earn points for every purchase they make – even when they use cash – from your Square Point of Sale App or through your Square Online site. They don’t need to receive a digital receipt in order to accumulate points – simply have your customer enter their phone number after they checkout. Your customers will be notified via SMS when they sign up with a link to their status page, each time they reach a new reward tier and when the rewards program changes.
You can customize your loyalty program so you’re incentivizing the best possible customer interactions. Your customers can either earn a point per transaction, per item purchased or every time they spend a certain amount. However, you can only set up one Loyalty rule for earning points per transaction at this time.
Set a purchase minimum to define how customers can earn rewards:
Per Visit: Reward points based on a per-visit minimum. For example, if your customer spends more than $5, they’ll earn one point per visit. This program type also allows you to exclude certain items from accruing points.
Per Amount Spent: Reward points based on the total amount spent before tax and tip. For example, one point per every $5 spent on a purchase.
Per Item or Category: Reward points based on purchasing a specific item or category. For example, a drip coffee earns 1 point, a latte earns 2 points and a sandwich earns 3 points.
|Seller Community: “We tell our customers face to face that we’ve switched to the virtual punch card that’s stored by their phone number. Everyone seems really excited about it, and they’re catching on. I let them push their own phone number in too. I think it adds to their experience.” - LSBS|
Multi-Tiered Loyalty Program
You can create a Multi-Tiered Loyalty program by adding multiple tiers of rewards in your setup. Customers will accumulate points towards rewards based on different tiers. Customers can choose to redeem their points for a reward once they reach a tier, or continue toward the next tier to receive a larger reward. This allows you to create a loyalty program unique to your business and incentivize your customers to return.
If you are setting up a Loyalty Program for the first time:
- Log in to the Loyalty section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Follow the steps to create your Loyalty Program.
To add tiers to your Loyalty Program:
- Log in to the Loyalty section of your online Square Dashboard > Select Settings. > Create A New Reward.
- Select your reward type from the dropdown.
- Choose the reward value > Enter the discount that will be applied for the reward and select Create Reward.
Note: You can only create 100 rewards levels for your Loyalty Program.
Points are accumulated until the customer decides they want to redeem a reward.
Apply a Reward to a Current Sale:
- Visit your item library by tapping:
- Tap Redeem Rewards.
- Enter the customer’s name or phone number to search for available rewards.
- Redeem a specific reward by selecting Redeem for Points.
- Complete sale through Point of Sale. You will see the reward applied on the transaction.
Rewards are redeemed once the sale is complete, and the total points are removed from the customer’s point total. Customers have the possibility of applying multiple rewards of different types at the same time, but you can’t apply multiple rewards to one transaction.
Apply a Reward to an Online Sale
Points can be earned or redeemed by loyalty program members if they are making a purchase through Square Online. When completing a transaction on your business’ website, the buyer will need to enter in their phone number and any rewards they decide to use for their purchase will be automatically applied. The rewards used for the transaction will also appear on their digital receipt.
Enrol Your Customers
After you’ve set up and activated your Loyalty program and subscription, the new Loyalty enrolment screens will appear in your Square app. A screen inviting your customers to enrol in your loyalty program will appear after each transaction regardless of whether their purchase has earned them a point, reward or not.
To enrol your customers in your loyalty program:
- Process a sale the same way you normally would.
- After the sale has been completed and your customer has passed the receipt screen, they’ll reach the Loyalty Screen.
- Your customer enters their 10-digit phone number to opt-in the your loyalty program.
- They’ll receive an SMS indicating they’ve been enrolled and, if applicable, earned their first point, along with a link to their loyalty program status.
Note: Your customer will receive occasional SMS messages about your loyalty program, such as reward notifications. They can unsubscribe from SMS messages at any time by replying STOP to the message received.
Your customer’s loyalty account number is connected to their phone number. They can pay with different credit cards, checks, gift cards or cash, and still earn points towards rewards by entering the same phone number.
To walk through what your customers will need to do to enrol in your loyalty program, view the How to Enrol your Loyalty Customer tutorial in the Point of Sale App. To access the tutorial:
1.Select Support in the sidebar of your Point of Sale App.
- Select Tutorials and Tours and choose Enrol a Loyalty Customer.
- Tap Start Tutorial in the pop up screen to learn how your customers can enrol in your loyalty program after their transaction.
Applying Rewards to Purchases
- Visit your item library by tapping:
- Tap Redeem Rewards.
- Enter your customer’s 10- digit phone number to search for available rewards.
- Tap reward to apply it to the current sale.
- Continue check-out as normal.
Learn about managing and promoting your Square Loyalty program.
Pricing for Square Loyalty
Square’s Loyalty program subscription cost is based on your customer’s participation with your program. This participation is based on the number of qualifying Loyalty Visits within a given month.
Read more about Square Loyalty Pricing.