Create a Coupon in Square Online Store
Coupons are a great way to incentivize your customers to buy your items. You can create three types of coupons with different rules and restrictions. Customers enter the coupon code during checkout and see the discount immediately. All discounts are applied before tax and shipping rates.
Note: These coupons are different from Square discounts as they’re only for use in your online store.
To create a coupon, go to Items > Coupons from your Online Store Dashboard and click Add Coupon.
First, enter a code for your coupon. This is the text your customers will enter at checkout, so choose something that makes sense with the kind of discount you’re offering. You can use any combination of letters, numbers and special characters, and the code isn’t case-sensitive, so “SAVE10” and “save10” will both work, for example.
Next, decide how many people can use the coupon and how long it will be active. The default settings allow for unlimited use with no expiration date.
To limit the number of coupons available, uncheck the “Unlimited” option and enter the number of coupons you want to allow (for example, you might want to limit the offer to the first 150 shoppers).
To an expiration date, click inside the Expiration date box and choose a date from the calendar. You can also set the starting date in the future if you want - this is handy if you’d like to set up seasonal discounts in advance. Dates are inclusive - that is, if you enter 9/1/19 - 9/15/19, the coupon will be valid on both September 1st and September 15th.
Finally, choose the type of discount and decide what it applies to.
Select a coupon type from the dropdown menu:
- Percentage Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the percentage you enter.
- Dollar Amount Discount: Discounts the purchase price based on the amount you enter.
- Free Shipping: Removes shipping fees from an order. You’ll need to create shipping rates before setting up this type of coupon.
Choose what the coupon applies to from the dropdown menu:
- All orders: The coupon is valid for all orders, as long as they meet any date restrictions you’ve set up.
- Orders over a certain amount: The coupon will only be valid if the order is over a specific dollar amount. Enter that amount in the field below. The amount is inclusive - that is, if the coupon is valid on orders over $10, and the order amount is $10, the coupon will be valid.
- Specific categories: The coupon applies to items that are included in the category you choose. Click the link to select one or more categories for this coupon.
- Specific items: The coupon applies only to the items you select here. Click the link to pick one or more items you want to include.
Note: You can’t set a discount for only certain item options. For example, if you’re selling t-shirts in multiple sizes and colors, the discount will apply to any size or color available for that t-shirt.
Save when you’re finished to return to the Coupons list and view the details for all coupons. Click on any coupon to make changes. To delete a coupon, click the checkbox on the left and use the Delete button on the upper right. You can delete multiple coupons at once by checking more than one box.
Use Coupons with Square Marketing
Once you’ve created a coupon for your Online Store, you can share the coupon to your customers with a Square Marketing campaign. To do so:
Use Coupons with Square Marketing
Once you’ve created a coupon for your Online Store, you can share the coupon to your customers with Square Marketing. To do so:
- Head to Marketing in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select Offer A Coupon > Design Campaign.
- Click Unique auto-generated code on the image of the coupon in the campaign preview on the left.
- Select Online use on the right side menu and input the Online Store coupon code you created under Coupon Code.
- Fill in the rest of the details of your coupon just as you did in your Square Online Store. *Note: if you fill out any of these details differently than when you set up your original coupon in your Online Store, these changes will not affect the terms of your coupon. To edit any details of your coupon, visit your Online Store Dashboard.
- Once you’ve finished setting up your coupon campaign, click Select Audience in the top right.
- Select your coupon campaign audience. You can also choose to share your campaign on Facebook with free posts or paid advertising to expand your audience.
Once you launch your campaign, customers will receive an email with your Online Store coupon code, which is only redeemable online.
Note: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits misleading “former price comparisons.” If you advertise or promote item(s) at a discounted price, it’s your responsibility to ensure you’re meeting the FTC’s guidelines. We recommend you reach out to a legal expert if you have questions about the FTC’s guidelines.