Square Team App for Payroll Subscribers
The Square Team app gives team members the ability to view their pay stubs, update their personal information, change their direct deposit payment method, and more. The app also gives team members the ability to clock in/out without the need to use the Square Point of Sale app. Not only does this help you manage your team better, but it also enables a contactless, hygienic clock in option — reducing the need for shared surfaces and potential crowding around the point of sale.
If you are an employer using Square Payroll, you may be interested in learning more about the Square Payroll app.
There are a few ways to get started with the Square Team app. If you have team members with existing permissions, they can download the app directly to their iPhone or Android device.
To download the app:
Download the Square Team App for iPhone
- Tap the App Store icon on your iPhone.
- Tap the search icon (magnifying glass) > search for Square Team.
- Tap Get next to the Square Team app icon and follow the prompts to complete the download.
- Follow the prompts to set up your app.
Note: If you need help with your Apple ID, please contact AppleCare.
Download the Square Team App for Android
- Tap the Google Play icon on your device.
- Tap the search field or icon (magnifying glass) > search for Square Team.
- Tap the result Square Payroll > Install > follow the onscreen instructions to complete the download.
- Once you have downloaded the app, tap Open or locate the Square Team icon on your homescreen > open the app.
Note: If you need help setting up your Google account, please contact Google Help.
For employers that are creating new team members or updating permissions for existing team members, an onboarding email will be sent directly to the team member after their team profile and permissions have been successfully created or updated. To do so:
Send Square Team App Onboarding Email to New Team Member
- Visit the Team section in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Team Member.
- Enter the team member’s first and last name, along with their email address. Note: You will also have the option to enter their phone number and a unique Team Member ID.
- From their newly created team profile, select Complete setup.
- Once you’ve entered their Job Title details, select Set up permissions.
- Choose Team Permissions, an existing permission set, or Create a new permission set.
- Enable the appropriate permissions for the team member, including the ability to clock in/out > select the appropriate access points for the team member.
- Click Save.
You can also update permissions for existing team members by visiting their profile(s) from the Team section in your online Square Dashboard and clicking Edit next to Permissions. Once new permissions have been assigned, your new or existing team member(s) will receive an onboarding email to download the Square Team app.
Once your team member(s) have downloaded the Square Team app, they will be able to utilize a number of different features. You can find information on how to navigate the Square Team app below.
From the main screen, team members can view their hours worked and earnings for the current pay period, clock in/out, and view their timecards. Team members can tap the Clock In, Take Break, or Clock Out buttons from the Home screen of the Square Team app to track their time. Note: You will need to enable the ability to allow your team members to track time from the app. You can do so by taking the following steps:
- From your online Square Dashboard, navigate to Timecards > Settings > Team App.
- Toggle on Clock in/out from team app > press Save.
If you have assigned different locations to team members, they can update these by tapping the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the Home screen. They can also select which job title they’re working under when they clock in. To ensure accurate timecards, all team members will need to allow the Square Team app to use their location while using the app. Learn more about enabling location services.
Team members can manage their shifts by keeping an eye on their hours worked and breaks taken. They will have the option to tap on a specific timecard to view the regular, overtime, and total hours worked that shift.
From here, team members can view additional information that is on file from them, such as work location and payroll details. Further information for each tab for payroll team members is below.
To update tax withholdings or personal information, team members can tap their name at the top of the navigation bar. Changing tax withholding data will not impact pending direct deposits but will only take effect on future payroll runs.
Team members can view the W-2 and/or 1099-MISC forms Square Payroll has filed on their behalf with the IRS. A physical tax form will also be mailed to the address we have on file for the team member in January once the prior tax year concludes.
To download or print tax forms, they will need to log into their Square Payroll team member dashboard from a computer.
Team members can also update their direct deposit payment method from the Square Team app. If the account is set up for direct deposit, team members will have two options:
- Cash App: If the team member opted to use the Cash app, they will receive their pay a day faster. They’ll have the option to request a free Visa debit card so they can access their funds via any ATM and have those ATM fees reimbursed. Learn more about the Cash Card.
- External Bank Account: Enter in the account holder’s name, the routing number, and the account number. These can be found on their bank’s website or at the bottom of their paper checks. View step-by-step instructions on adding your bank account.
Note: Edits to the direct deposit bank account bank account will not affect pending direct deposits or runs in progress, but will be used for future payroll runs.
Team members will have the option to track and manage their pay by tapping on a specific paystub to view the earnings, taxes, and deductions for the pay period.
To download or print paystubs, they will need to log into their Square Payroll team member dashboard from a computer.
View any benefits you are currently enrolled in along with any benefit deductions.
Tap Sign Out to exit the app.