Square’s online payroll service generates and files Form 1099-MISC for each of your contractors at year-end. We will mail Form(s) 1099-MISC to the mailing address provided for each of your contractors. In addition, these forms will be available in the Payroll section of your online Square Dashboard under Tax Forms. Although we file Form(s) 1099-MISC on your behalf, you and your contractors are responsible for confirming and ensuring the information in the Form(s) 1099-MISC is accurate.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Ensure all contractor payments for the year are recorded in Square Payroll by January 14, 2018 8:00 p.m. PST. Note: Applicable only to employers who have submitted at least one payroll with a pay date in 2017.
- Square Payroll automatically generates Form 1099-MISC and files to the IRS.
- Contractors can download Form 1099-MISC from their online accounts, or you can download the Forms yourself to distribute.
1. Download Your Square Payroll Form(s) 1099-MISC
To access your Form(s) 1099-MISC:
- Visit Tax Forms in the Payroll section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click the blue link ending in Square_2017_1099.zip to download a .zip file of your Form(s) 1099-MISC.
- Extract the Form(s) 1099-MISC from the downloaded .zip file (read below for instructions on doing so on a Mac or Windows computer).
Extract Your Form(s) 1099-MISC From a .zip File on a Mac
On most Mac computers, you will find the .zip file containing your Form(s) 1099-MISC in your Downloads folder. To access the file, you can either open the Downloads folder directly or search in your finder for Square_2017_1099.zip. Once you locate the .zip file, double click on it. Your computer will automatically extract the data from the .zip file, creating a folder which contains PDF copies of your Form(s) 1099-MISC.
Extract Your Form(s) 1099-MISC From a .zip File on Windows
The steps for extracting your .zip file depend on which version of Windows you are running. To locate the file, search for Square_2017_1099.zip or look for the file in the Downloads folder of My Computer. Follow the links for .zip extraction instructions on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows XP.
2. Verify your Square Payroll Form(s) 1099-MISC Data
You and your contractors are responsible for ensuring the information on Form(s) 1099-MISC is correct. Please review them for accuracy. You can update your contractor’s information on the Contractors tab of your Payroll dashboard. You will then be able to download and view the updated Form(s) 1099-MISC from the Tax Forms tab of your Payroll dashboard the following day.
Avoid these common errors: Incorrect or misspelled names, incorrect SSN, using nicknames or shortened names, titles before or after the name, and name changes not reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
You can learn more about what to do with Form(s) 1099-MISC in our Town Square blog.
3. Distribute Square Payroll Form(s) 1099-MISC
Square Payroll will mail Form(s) 1099-MISC to each of your contractors. Instructions are included with the form.
Note: We will not resend Form(s) 1099-MISC if an contractor does not receive it (due to invalid address or other reasons).
If your contractor has an invalid mailing address and your business has a valid mailing address, their Form(s) 1099-MISC will be returned to your business. You are then responsible for providing them with their copy of their Form(s) 1099-MISC. You can provide your contractor with a printed copy. This can be downloaded from the Tax Forms tab of your Payroll dashboard.
If your contractor has an invalid mailing address and your business has an invalid mailing address, you are responsible for downloading your Square Payroll Form(s) 1099-MISC and providing them to your contractors.
You can access a copy of your Form(s) 1099-MISC under the Tax Forms tab of your Payroll dashboard. Contractors with online accounts can also access a copy of their Form(s) 1099-MISC under their Tax Forms tab.