Square Register Set Up FAQs
How do I set up my Square Register?
Please follow the instructions on the set up page.
Should I dock customer display or undock & connect via USB Cable?
Good question! It depends on your preference and how the counter is set up at your business. Here are some considerations that might influence your decision. Also, you can always experiment each for a few days before you decide.
- How much space do you have on your countertop?
- Docking the customer display to Square Register makes things more compact. Also, since there is no need to connect the two displays via USB cable, there’s one less cable to worry about.
- Do you have a split countertop?
- If you have a countertop that has a different height for customers vs. cashiers, you might find it better to undock and connect customer display via USB to allow the flexibility in height.
- Which allows better angle for your customers?
- For a wider, lower or a higher countertop, it might be hard to optimize the placement for both cashiers and customers. It would be easier to optimize the placement of two screens separately by undocking and connecting via USB.
- Do you want to be able to see the customer display more easily?
- Undocking and connecting customer display via USB may allow cashiers to look over the customer display screen more easily in case you want to help customers. Although cashier will be able to see what actions are being performed on the customer display at any given time, if you want to see exactly what customers are seeing, we recommend that you undock and connect customer display via USB.
How do I connect Square Register to my network?
There are two ways to connect Square Register to your network: Wi-Fi and Ethernet. You can connect to Wi-Fi through Device > Network. Or you can hard-wire through the Ethernet port on the hardware hub. Make sure to check the network connection in the same section. You can also quickly check via the Wi-Fi / Ethernet network status indicator at r the top right corner of the status bar.
How do I connect Square Register when my Wi-Fi is down?
If you can connect via Ethernet, you can do so through the Ethernet port on the hardware hub. If not, you can enable Offline Mode and continue to take card payments even if your Wi-Fi is down. Learn more about Offline Mode.
How do I adjust the angle of Square Register?
You can tilt the cashier side display. However, you can’t adjust the angle of the customer display, other than what’s allowed from docking and undocking & connecting via USB cable.
How do I secure Square Register to my countertop?
There are two ways to secure the device to your countertop - using adhesive or screwing with a mounting plate.