Get started with your Miura M010 reader to accept contactless (NFC) payments, chip cards, and magstripe cards with the Square app on a supported iOS or Android device.
Note: Miura M010 readers not issued by Square aren’t supported.
If you’re looking to troubleshoot an issue with your reader, review these helpful pairing and payment tips.
Miura M010 Reader Basics
- Charge: Use the accompanying USB cable to connect your reader to a power source.
- Turn on/off: Press and hold the power button firmly.
- Sleep mode: To conserve battery, the reader will automatically enter sleep mode after 8 minutes of inactivity. To wake, press any key on the keypad.
Charge the Miura M010 Reader
Charge your reader overnight before using it for the first time, and at the start of every business day. To do so, plug one end of the accompanying USB cable into your reader and the other end into one of the following power sources:
- Power outlet: Use a USB power adapter (e.g. iPhone or iPad adapter or any common adapter) to connect to an outlet.
- USB port on your computer: Make sure your computer is connected to a power source.
It takes around four hours for the reader to fully charge. When charging, the light on the reader will be red.
Note: The reader will not enter sleep mode when plugged in via USB. You can also accept payments with the reader while it’s charging.
The battery life of a Miura M010 reader varies. The more it’s used, the shorter the battery will last before needing to be recharged.
When your reader needs to be recharged, the battery indicator (in the top-right corner of the reader display) will show a low battery level.
You can see the battery level of your reader by going to Settings in the Square app and tapping Card Readers > Miura M010.
To maximize battery life:
- Fully charge the reader before each use.
- Keep the battery well charged and don’t let it discharge completely.
- Turn the reader off when you won’t be using it (e.g. at the end of your business day).
- Keep the reader in a room temperature enviornment, away from heat sources.
Pair the Miura M010 Reader
Before using the reader, you’ll need to pair it with your iOS or Android device. To do so, make sure:
- The reader is charged.
- The latest version of the Square app is installed.
- Bluetooth is enabled on your mobile device. To do so, visit Settings > Bluetooth > ON.
You can pair the Miura reader from the Square Point of Sale app or from your device’s Bluetooth settings. To pair the reader directly from the app:
- Power on the reader (blue button on the top of the device). Wait for the blue light located on the Bluetooth button to slowly blink.
- On the Miura reader, firmly press and hold the green tick button for about five seconds until the Bluetooth light blinks rapidly. Release the button and, immediately remove your finger from the button.
- On your mobile device, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap: or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register:
- Tap Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Miura M010.
- Tap Pair. Select your reader when it appears in the list.
Note: The light on the Bluetooth button should blink rapidly when attempting to pair. If it’s not blinking rapidly, return to step 2.
6. Look to your Miura reader. Quickly tap the green tick mark in the lower-right corner of the reader’s keypad when prompted.
Note: You’ll have a limited timeframe to click the tick button. If you miss this step, you’ll see “Pairing Unsuccessful” in the Square app; tap OK. To try again, exit the app and visit device settings > Bluetooth. Locate the Miura from the list. If you are on an iOS device select the i icon. Tap “Forget this device” and return to step 2 above.
7. In the Square app, tap Pair and confirm your selection. Once paired, the reader display will confirm the pairing was successful and the Square app will list the Miura Card Reader under My Readers.
8. To return to your Square app to start accepting payments, tap: or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register:
As long as Bluetooth is enabled on your device, your reader automatically reconnect moving forward.
Note: The reader can’t connect to multiple devices simultaneously. However, you can disconnect the reader from the current device, and pair it to a different one.
Take Payments with the Miura M010 Reader
The Miura M010 reader accepts any supported US-issued and most internationally-issued chip, contactless, or magstripe cards. This reader also accepts payments through contactless (NFC) devices.
When you’re ready to complete a payment:
1. Open the Square app.
2. Select items to sell or enter a custom amount.
3. Tap Charge
4. Select one of the following payment methods listed below to complete the transaction.
Contactless Cards and Devices
The Miura M010 reader accepts Visa, Mastercard, and American Express contactless cards. Discover contactless cards aren’t currently supported.
- In the Square app, tap “Apple Pay and Contactless.”
- Wait for the green LED light in the top-left of the reader to light up.
- Have your customer hold their mobile device or contactless card in place above the reader display.
- When all four green LED lights on the reader light up, the payment has been accepted.
For all payment types, have your customers complete the transaction in the Square app.
To learn more about contactless payments, visit this NFC guide.
- Insert the chip card (chip side first) in the slot at the bottom of the reader.
- Push the card to the left until you hear a click. Leave the card in place until the transaction completes.
- When prompted, have your customer remove the card.
For magstripe cards, swipe the card through the slot on the top of the reader with the front of the card facing you.