You can remove employees from Square Payroll and, if needed, provide them with a final paycheck. These employees will no longer appear on the Run Payroll screen, making it easier for you to run payroll and manage your business.
Issue Final Paycheck
If you need to issue a final paycheck to your employee immediately, you can send an off-cycle payment before removing the employee from payroll. If you need to pay the employee immediately you can select “manual check” as payment method and handwrite or print a check.
If you need to issue a final paycheck and have already removed the employee from payroll, simply re-activate their employee account, send an off-cycle payment and remove them from payroll again.
Note: Depending on the circumstances, you may be responsible for providing your employees with a check for their final wages on their last day of work. Read more about final wages.
Remove Employee From Square Payroll
To remove an employee from your Square Payroll employee list:
- Go to Employees in the Payroll section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Select the employee that you would like to remove from Square Payroll.
- Click the “Remove from Payroll” button at the upper-right side of the screen.
- Click Confirm Removal in the window that opens.
Reactivate an Employee in Square Payroll
To reactivate an employee who has been removed from Square Payroll:
- Go to Employees in the Payroll section of your Square Dashboard.
- Select the employee that would like to add back to Square Payroll.
Note: The employee payment method will default to the previous payment method. Employees who were previously paid through direct deposit will have their employee account reactivated with the same e-mail address.
- Click Save.