|New to Square? Watch our free, two-part education series to learn everything you need to know.|
How to Swipe Card Payments
Open the Square app and firmly plug the card reader into the device’s headset jack or Lightning connector until you hear a click.
Note: You may need to remove your device case or cover to fully connect the reader.
Add items to the current sale or tap the keypad icon to add custom amounts. If you’re using a supported bar code scanner, you can scan an item’s bar code with a SKU saved to your item library.
Note: At least $1.00 needs to be charged to process a card payment.
- Swipe the card smoothly and quickly through the reader with the magnetic strip facing the thick side of the reader. To split a payment between multiple payment methods, use Split Tender.
- If you have signatures enabled, have your customer sign with their finger. Your customer can also leave a tip if tipping is enabled. To cancel the payment before it’s been processed, tap the X icon or the back arrow to return to the previous screen.
- Tap Done Signing, and pick the customer’s preferred receipt option. With a supported receipt printer, you can also print a receipt and/or kitchen ticket.
- After a payment completes, the final screen will read All Done.
If you have trouble swiping with your reader, try these troubleshooting tips.
If you have many similarly titled items, or items with long item names, you can view the full item details before the item is added to the cart. To do so:
- From the Library view in the Square Point of Sale app, press and hold an item name in your list.
- An Item Details screen will open to allow you to view all of the item details, including the full description and full name.
- From the Item Details screen, you can add the item to the cart or close it and select another item.
- If your customer has a chip card or they’d like to pay with contactless (NFC), you’ll need to use a different Square Reader that accepts these payment types.
- If you experience any Internet connectivity issues, enable Offline Mode to accept payments without a connection.