How to Swipe Card Payments
Open the Square app and firmly plug the card reader into the device’s headset jack until you hear a click.
Note: You may need to remove your device case or cover to fully connect the reader.
- Add items to the current sale or tap the keypad icon to add custom amounts. If you’re using a supported barcode scanner, you can scan an item’s barcode with a SKU saved to your item library.
- Tap an item in the current sale to add a description, create modifications, change the quantity, and apply taxes. Note: At least $1.00 needs to be charged to process a card payment.
- Swipe the card smoothly and quickly through the reader with the magnetic strip facing the thick side of the reader. To split a payment between multiple payment methods, use Split Tender.
- If you have signatures enabled, have your customer sign with their finger. Your customer can also leave a tip if tipping is enabled. To cancel the payment before it’s been processed, tap the X icon or the back arrow to return to the previous screen.
- Tap Done Signing, and pick the customer’s preferred receipt option. With a supported receipt printer, you can also print a receipt and/or kitchen ticket.
- After a payment completes, the final screen will read All Done.
If you have trouble swiping with your reader, try these troubleshooting tips.