Swipe Card Payments with the Square Reader
How to Swipe Card Payments
Open the Square app and firmly plug the card reader into the device’s headset jack or Lightning connector until you hear a click.
Note: You may need to remove your device case or cover to fully connect the reader.
- Add items to the current sale or tap the keypad icon to add custom amounts. If you’re using a supported barcode scanner, you can scan an item’s barcode with a SKU saved to your item library.
- Tap an item in the current sale to add a description, create modifications, change the quantity, and apply taxes. Note: At least $1.00 needs to be charged to process a card payment.
- Swipe the card smoothly and quickly through the reader with the magnetic strip facing the thick side of the reader. To split a payment between multiple payment methods, use Split Tender.
- If you have signatures enabled, have your customer sign with their finger. Your customer can also leave a tip if tipping is enabled. To cancel the payment before it’s been processed, tap the X icon or the back arrow to return to the previous screen.
- Tap Done Signing, and pick the customer’s preferred receipt option. With a supported receipt printer, you can also print a receipt and/or kitchen ticket.
- After a payment completes, the final screen will read All Done.
If you have trouble swiping with your reader, try these troubleshooting tips.