Square allows you to swipe international magnetic stripe payment cards (without a chip) on your mobile device. The Square Reader for magnetic stripe cards included with your Square Reader is compatible with the latest version of the Square app on any supported device.
How to Swipe International Magnetic Stripe Card Payments
- Open the Square app and firmly plug the card reader into the device’s headset jack until you hear a ‘click’.
- Note: You may need to remove your device case or cover to fully connect the reader.
- Add items to the cart or tap the keypad icon to add custom amounts followed by the + sign. If you’re using a supported barcode scanner, you can scan an item’s barcode with an SKU saved to your item library.
- Tap an item in the cart to add a description, create modifications, change the quantity and apply tax (if applicable).
- Note: At least £1.00 needs to be charged to process a card payment.
- Swipe the card smoothly and quickly through the reader with the magnetic strip facing the thick side of the reader. To split a payment between multiple payment methods, use Split Bill.
- If you have sign on device enabled, have your customer sign with their finger. Your customer can also leave a tip if tipping is enabled. To cancel the payment before it’s been processed, tap the X icon or the back arrow to return to the previous screen.
- Tap Done Signing, and pick the customer’s preferred receipt option. With a supported receipt printer, you can also print a receipt and/or kitchen ticket.
- After a payment completes, the final screen will read All Done.
- Tap New Sale to accept another payment.
- Note: If the card was authorised, this simply means the funds are available and reserved. You must reach the ‘All Done’ screen for a payment to be completed. Visit your recent Transactions to confirm the last sale.
If you have trouble swiping with the reader for magnetic stripe cards, try these troubleshooting tips.