Manage Devices by Location
Multiple employees can log in to the Square app from a single device (without having to enter an email address or password) using Device Codes. Device Codes can also pair a unique phone or tablet to a specific location, allowing for device-level reporting. Device Codes cannot be used to access your online Square Dashboard or account settings.
When you create a Device Code for the first time, you’ll be asked to assign the device to a specific location. You can create and manage locations any time from your dashboard.
Using Device Codes
- From Account & Settings in your online Square Dashboard, click Devices.
- Click Create Device.
- Enter a Nickname and click Create to generate your code.
- Choose to send your code via email or phone number and tap Send.
- Open the Square app on your mobile device and tap Sign In.
- Tap “Use a Device Code” and enter the code.
The device status in your dashboard should say Active. When you log in to the Square app with a Device Code, Employee Management is automatically enabled. You’ll need your owner or Employee passcode to access the Square app.
If you have employees, they can clock in with their employee passcode and will have permissions based on their permission group.
Note: A Device Code must be activated within 48 hours or it will expire and you’ll need to reset it to sign in to the Square app. Once activated on a device, the code cannot be reused on additional devices.
Reset or Deactivate a Device Code
If your device is misplaced or stolen, you can reset your device code from Devices in your online Square Dashboard. To do so:
- Click the device to reset or deactivate.
- Click Reset Device Login or Deactivate and confirm your request.
- If you reset, you’ll be given a new device code.
For basic device code troubleshooting, update your device’s software and the Square app.