Update Your Device Software
To make sure that the Square app runs smoothly, update to the latest version of software available for your device. After you’ve updated your software, download the latest version of the Square app for the newest features and fixes.
Update Software on an iOS Device
- Plug your device into a power source.
- From the device’s home screen, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap “Download and Install.”
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.
Note: As of 14 January 2020, new releases of the Square Point of Sale app are only compatible with devices running iOS 10 or above. If your device is unable to update to iOS 10, you can still accept payments and run your business as usual. However, in order to continue taking advantage of the latest features and new products, we recommend upgrading to a supported device.
For more information on updating your iOS, visit Apple’s Support site.
Update Software on an Android Device
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Tap About > System Updates or Software Updates. If you don’t see Advanced, tap About phone.
Note: The process to update software is different for each Android device. Instructions for updating software on your specific device should be available on Google’s Android Support page.