You can create and edit fixed price or variable discounts from the Square app or from your online Square Dashboard. After you’ve set up your discounts, you can apply them at checkout.
Note: Leave the value empty to create a variable discount. Variable priced discounts prompt you to customise the amount of the discount at the time of the sale.
Create and Manage Discounts with the Square App
- From your item library, tap Discounts in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Create Discount or select a discount to modify.
- Enter the discount details. Leave the discount amount blank to create a variable discount.
- Tap Save.
Create Discounts Online
- Go to Discounts in your online Square Dashboard and click Create Discount.
- Enter the discount details. To determine the discount amount at checkout, leave the discount field blank.
- Click Save.
You can apply percentage or pound discounts to all items in the basket. You can also apply percentage discounts to individual items within the basket.
Note: While percentage discounts can be applied to an entire sale or to individual items, pound discounts can only be applied to an entire basket.
If you’re applying a combination of pound and percentage discounts, the percentage discount will be applied first followed by the pound discount. Tip: You can create Item price points, to speed up the line for regularly discounted items (e.g, pint £6, happy hour pint £4).
Apply Discounts to an Entire Sale
From the Square app, tap the list icon for your item library or select your items grid if you’ve saved discounts to it.
- Tap the discount you’d like to apply to the current sale.
- The applied discount will appear as a line item within the current sale.
Apply Discounts to Individual Items
- Tap Current Sale from the keypad screen and tap the item you’d like to discount.
- Toggle on the discount you’d like to apply.
- Tap Save.
Apply Discounts on an iOS Smartphone
Apply a Discount to an Entire Sale
- Tap the list icon on the navigation bar to reach your item library.
- Locate the discount you’d like to apply and tap it to add it to the current sale.
Apply a Discount to a single item
- Tap Current Sale at the top of the screen.
- Tap the item you’d like to discount.
- Under Discounts section, locate the discount you’d like to apply and toggle it on.
- Tap Save
Note: Only percentage discounts can be applied to an individual item. Both percentage and pound discounts can be applied to an entire sale.
Apply Multiple Discounts
If you apply multiple discounts to an entire sale, they’ll compound. Here’s an example:
- A discount is added to a sale.
- Square calculates the discounted sale total.
- A second discount is added, which is applied to the total discounted sale price.
Note: If you’re applying a combination of pound and percentage discounts, the percentage discount will be applied first followed by the discount in pounds.