Set Up a Customer-Facing Display
The Customer Display app lets you display itemised order information to your customers on a separate digital display without interrupting the payment flow in the Square app.
Software and Hardware Requirements
You must be running the latest version of iOS on your Apple devices and the most recent version of the Square app to use the Customer Display. Learn how to update your device’s software and the Square app.
Note: Devices unable to update to iOS 10.0 or higher (e.g. iPad 2) are no longer supported.
Set Up the Customer Display
To download the Customer Display app, visit squareup.com/beta/display and enter the code: displaybeta.
Note: If you see the prompt below while downloading the app, tap Settings > General > Profiles > tap your profile > tap Trust or Verify.
Tap the three horizontal lines to access the Square Point of Sale settings and then tap Customer Display. If you don’t see Customer Display, please let us know.
Note: Verify you have Wi-Fi enabled on the device running the Square POS App and the device running the Customer Display. Also, please ensure that bluetooth is disabled on the device running the Customer Display.
Tap Connect a Display.
- Square Point of Sale will search for nearby devices. Once the device running the Customer Display app appears, tap that row to pair the devices.
- From the Customer Display app, tap Accept to complete device linking.
On both devices, make sure Auto-Lock is set to Never from your devices’ settings. To do so, tap Settings > General > Auto-Lock > Never. The devices will unpair if either device locks and/or if you switch/close out of either app. Make sure to keep your devices turned on when paired.
- The devices should now be connected. To test the connection, add an item to your cart in the app and check that it shows up on the Customer Display.
Note: The customer-facing display is just for viewing an itemised purchase list; customers will still have to sign and tip on the original Stand iPad.
Troubleshoot Your Customer Display
If you experience any connection issues between the Customer Display and the Square app, try the following:
- Ensure that you’re running the latest version of iOS and the Square app on your iPad. The Square app must be installed on an iPad to work with the Customer Display on a second iOS device.
Make sure you’re also running the latest version of the Customer Display app. To update the app, visit squareup.com/beta/display and enter the code: displaybeta. Tap Update. The app will automatically update in the background.
Ensure Bluetooth is disabled on your device and that the Customer Display app and Wi-Fi are turned on.
- On both devices, make sure Auto-Lock is set to Never from your devices’ settings. To do so, tap Settings > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never.
Note: The devices will unpair if either device locks and/or if you switch/close out of either app. Make sure to keep your devices turned on when paired.
- You may have trouble if one device is on an old Apple iOS version and the other is on a newer version. Be sure that both the Square app and the Customer Display app are running on devices with the same, up-to-date iOS and the most up-to-date version of the Square App.