Inicio>Nómina para empleados

Applying for Unemployment Benefits

If you are a Square Payroll employee and recently lost your job, were laid off, furloughed, or had your hours reduced, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits through your state agency. This article includes information on how to locate and contact your state unemployment office and how to find the necessary information on Square Payroll to file your unemployment claim.

State Unemployment Offices

Each state operates their own unemployment benefit program and eligibility requirements vary per state. Filing online is often the fastest option but many states also offer the option to file by phone or in person.

The Buscador de beneficios de desempleo, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, has a directory of state unemployment offices and information on benefits, eligibility and how to file a claim.

Information and Documentation to file a Claim

Each state requires different documentation to file an unemployment insurance claim. Square Payroll employees with online account access can find most of this information on their Panel de Datos de Nómina Square para empleados or Aplicación Mi Equipo Square. When possible, we recommend collecting this information before filing your claim as some state websites may not allow you to save your information or navigate backwards in the application flow. In most states, you will need the following information:

Personal Information
- Your Social Security number (or alien registration number, if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your complete mailing address and zip code
- An email address where you can be reached
- A phone number where you can be reached
- Your driver license or Motor Vehicle ID card number (some states)

Employment Information
This information can be found on the Talones de pago and Formularios de impuestos tabs of your Square Payroll Employee Dashboard or Aplicación Mi Equipo Square.
- Name, address, phone number from your recent employer (most states request this information from the past 18 months)
- Dates of employment and reason for separation from your recent employer (most states request this information from the past 18 months)
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) of your most recent employer (EIN is on your Form W-2)
- Recent paystubs and other wage records, such as the Form W-2