Get Started with Square Marketing
Square Marketing helps you connect with your customers with customized email and social media campaigns to promote your business.
You can easily design custom emails, set up automated campaigns, and see how your marketing efforts affect your bottom line—right from your Square Dashboard.
Targeted email marketing is an effective way to reach your customers and drive sales. Read more about email marketing best practices.
This guide will help you set up, manage, and make the most out of Square Marketing.
If you haven’t done so already, sign up for Square Marketing, to start sending newsletters, announcements, event invitations, coupons, and more to your customers.
Start a 30-day free trial here.
Square Marketing pricing is based on the number of reachable customers you have in your Customer Directory.
This list combines customers:
- You may have imported or added via customer information collection tools
- Customers who’ve visited you at least once within the last 12 months, and either paid with a credit or debit card, or elected to receive a digital receipt via email.
|Number of Reachable Customers||Monthly Cost|
|Up to 500||$15|
|501 - 1,000||$25|
|1,001 - 2,000||$35|
Create an Email Marketing Campaign
To create an email marketing campaign from your online Square Dashboard:
- Visit Marketing in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Campaign and select whether you’d like to send an Email, Facebook or Receipt campaign.
- Select your campaign objective. If you’re sending an email, you can choose a one time blast campaign, or set up an ongoing automated campaign. In case you choose to send a Facebook campaign, you’ll be able to choose between different types of one time campaigns.
- If your business has multiple locations, you can select a specific location. This will determine which address shows up at the bottom of your emails, and limit where the coupon can be redeemed. Note: If you want your coupon to be redeemable at all locations, you need to leave the default All Locations selection.
- Select a pre-existing template from the theme library, or simply use the default template
customize the email template to fit your marketing goal.
Note: If you’re including a coupon, be sure to include an offer amount and expiration date. Coupons can’t be used with your online store.
- Customize your Square Marketing template including default campaign colors, layout, global styles for a campaign, font size, button size, email header styles, and more. You can also add images, new text fields, and Items from your library, and re-order these blocks of content so the email matches exactly what you’re looking for. With Square Marketing you have access to a searchable image gallery with over 850,000 free stock photos.
- Select your recipients by adding your preferred customer group. Learn more about your customer directory and smart groups.
- Select your campaign payment method: pay-as-you-go (which costs $0.10 per email sent) or the monthly subscription option that allows you to send unlimited emails.
- Review your campaign > click Schedule or Send Now. Learn more about scheduling marketing campaigns.
Learn more about customizing your marketing campaign.
When creating a blast (one-time) campaign with Square Marketing, the option to send a reminder email to recipients who haven’t opened your message is disabled by default. If you wish to send reminder emails, this setting can be switched on from the Review & Send step of the campaign creation process.
Reminder emails are sent 5 days after the original delivery date. Campaigns with coupons or discounts are also resent to those who haven’t opened your message 7 days before the coupon is set to expire. By default, a coupon expires 2 months after the campaign is sent, unless you’ve set it to expire on a different date.
Note: Reminder emails can’t be disabled once the campaign has been sent.
Schedule Marketing Campaigns
You can draft your marketing campaigns ahead of time, so they’ll be sent automatically.
To do so, click Schedule at the end of the campaign preparation flow to assign a date, and time for your next promotion to be sent.
Schedule Recurring Marketing Campaigns
Set up recurring blast campaigns to automatically send weekly or monthly coupons, reminders, and invitations from your online Square Dashboard.
To do so:
- Visit Marketing in your online Square Dashboard > Create Campaign.
- Select a blast campaign, create a custom design, and select your audience.
- From the Review & Send screen, click Schedule in the upper-right corner.
- Set when you’d like to start sending the campaign > enable Repeat this campaign option.
- Select if you’d like this recurring campaign indefinitely, sent a specific number of times, or send it for one last time on a set date.
Note: Recurring campaigns can’t be used with seasonal themes.
Share Promotions via Digital Receipts
When creating a coupon campaign with Square Marketing, you have the option to include the coupon on your digital receipts. By doing this, customers who aren’t subscribed to your mailing list can take advantage of the promotion.
To include your coupon in your digital receipts:
- Navigate to the Marketing tab of your online Square Dashboard > Create Campaign.
- Select Receipt and enter your campaign name > Continue.
- Customize your campaign’s theme, edit coupon details, and add content > Continue.
- Finish reviewing your campaign > Schedule or Send Now.
If you’re subscribed to Square Marketing, you have access to unlimited monthly emails at no additional cost, and will skip the payment entry window.
When a customer receives your marketing email and is ready to make a purchase, you can apply their reward at checkout. Each code is unique and cannot be used more than once. Learn more applying rewards at checkout.
The Square Marketing Assistant helps you create marketing campaigns right from your phone. You will receive suggestions, designs, campaigns reports, and tips to craft effective campaigns on the go. Once you’ve finalized creating a campaign, you can launch it from your phone.
To get started:
- Visit the Marketing tab of your online Square Dashboard.
- Select Assistant and follow the prompts to get started.
Learn more about setting up Marketing assistant.
Assign Marketing Permissions
You are able to assign designated employees to send and manage Square Marketing campaigns. To do so:
- Log in to the Permissions section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Tap on Create Permission Set > Enter the permission set name.
- Toggle on Marketing > Continue.
- Select the access points the team member can use their permissions at.
Learn more about assigning permissions to your team members.
Manage Reachable Customers
To manage the number of reachable customers in your directory, you can do the following:
- Visit your Customer Directory and resolve any duplicate contacts that may exist by clicking Resolve Duplicates.
- Configure the Reachable definition to customers who visit either once, or twice, within a 12-month period. By default it is set to one visit in a 12-month period, but if you want to be more conservative you can make this change. To do so, click Reachable group Action > Edit.
- Review your directory for any old, empty or unused customer records, and delete them.
View Campaign Reports
Get real-time reports wherever and whenever you want. Use our email marketing software to see how many people opened your email, how many clicked to learn more, as well as how many made purchases as a result of your campaign.
To view reporting on a marketing campaign:
- Navigate to the Marketing tab of your online Square Dashboard.
- Select Campaigns. By default, all your campaigns will be shown. To filter by campaign type click Campaign Type.
|Seller Community: Take a look at what other sellers are saying about Square Marketing.|