Get Started with Team Management
Square Team Management has tools to help you manage your team easily – across locations, devices and job functions. It has a free plan and paid plan, Team Plus, to meet your business needs.
With the free version of Team Management, you can set up a single set of permissions for all team members sharing a point of sale. Once you set up your first set of permissions, your staff can take payments on your behalf without having access to any of your sensitive account information. To get started in the free plan, add your first team member.
With Team Plus, you can create unlimited custom permission sets, view activity log information and get a view of your team’s sales. Start a 30-day free trial here.
Setting up your owner passcode
If you haven’t done so already, you’ll want to create an owner passcode before adding team members and assigning permissions. The owner passcode can be used to clock in/out on the Square app, but most importantly, override any passcode-related actions taken by your team members. For example, if a team member tries to take an action that they don’t have permission to take, the Square app will ask for an owner passcode to override.
To create your owner passcode:
From Staff > Team >Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click the account owner’s name.
Under Permissions, click Edit.
In the Credentials section, create a custom, 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
Adding your first team member
Get started with Team Management by adding your team members in Square. This will allow you to track your team’s time and set permissions for your Square account. The more team members you add, the more powerful Team Management becomes.
- From the Team tab of your dashboard, click Create Team Member.
- Enter the team member’s name, email address and phone number. The team member ID is optional.
- Click Save.
Note: Adding an email address will invite the team member to access their timecards in the Square Team app.
Once you’ve saved your new team member’s personal information, their team member profile will populate. This profile allows you to edit their personal information, and assign them job titles and wages specific to their job at your business. Adding job titles and wages to a team member lets you track labour cost and, if using Square Timecards, view time spent performing one or multiple job functions at your business.
- From your newly created team member’s profile, click Complete setup.
- On the Job title screen, toggle Overtime Exempt on/off and provide a primary job title and pay type (e.g. hourly vs salary).
- Based on the selected pay type, enter an hourly rate or annual salary and weekly hours.
- Click Save.
Note: While adding a job title is required, wage information is optional.
If your team member has additional job responsibilities that require a secondary wage, and you’re subscribed to Team Plus, select Add Another Wage to add in another job title and pay type. They will be able to choose from a job title when clocking in/out in the Square app, and the wage for that job will be tracked in your labour cost reporting. For example, a team member can clock in as a Host for part of their shift, and then switch to Manager.
- From the Navigation panel in your Square Point of Sale app, tap Team.
- Tap the ‘+’ icon to pull up the Create team member screen.
- Start by entering the team member’s name, email address and phone number.
- From here, tap Primary job title to assign the team member a job title or Create job to assign them a newly created job title.
- Tap the back arrow to return to the Create team member screen and input the team member’s Hourly rate. Note: This field is not required to save your team member’s profile information.
- Tap Permission set to assign your team member to an existing permission set. Note: Team members will automatically be assigned to Team permissions upon creation. Creating and editing new permission sets is only available on Square Dashboard at this time.
- Tap Location to select the appropriate location(s) for the team member and choose to toggle on/off the option to Assign to all current and future locations. Note: The Location section will default to the current location associated with your Square Point of Sale account during the creation of your team member(s).
- After returning to the Create team member screen and confirming all information is accurate, tap Save.
Continue to follow the instructions above to create additional team members in-app. Once a team member has been created, they will immediately be able to use Square Point of Sale based on the settings and permissions you’ve enabled for them. Note: You will receive a notification regarding Missing info if there is any required information missing from the team member profile(s) that you create.
Note: If you want your team members to be eligible for distributed tips, including tip pooling, and you’re a Shifts Plus subscriber, you’ll need to toggle on the Tip eligible setting under the ‘Job and compensation’ section when adding a team member. Learn more about tip pooling with Shifts Plus.
Setting up Permissions
Now that you’ve added a team member, you can assign permissions to them. Permissions protect your business and its sensitive information by controlling what your team members can see and do in your POS and online Square Dashboard. You can also determine team member access to your dashboard and the Square Point of Sale, Appointments and Square Invoices apps.
With permissions, you’ll have the option to assign either custom permissions or Team permissions to your team members. Custom permissions are fully customisable and specific to individual team members. For example, they allow you to give different permission sets to a manager, an accountant and a cashier. Team permissions is a single set of permissions available to all team members that are assigned to them and is free to use. Note: Unlimited custom permissions are available to Team Plus paid subscribers.
It’s important to keep in mind that permission sets can be created for individual team members based on their specific duties and be reused with future team members performing the same functions.
- From your newly created team member’s profile, click Set up permissions.
- On the team member’s permissions screen, use the Permission Set drop-down menu to select Create new permission set.
- Enter a Permission set name.
- Toggle on Full access to enable all permissions or use the permission grid to customise the permission set, click Continue.
- Choose access points to specify where your team member can access Square apps.
Shared Points of Sale: Allow this team member to access your Point of Sale using a 4-digit team passcode (e.g. all team members using the same team passcode for your point of sale).
Mobile Point of Sale: Allow this team member to sign in to the Square app using their own email address and password on their own device. (e.g. team members taking payments on the go).
Dashboard: Allow this team member to sign in to your online Square Dashboard using their own email address and password.
- Click Save.
Note: Creating new permission sets is only available through the online Square Dashboard at the moment and can’t be done in-app.
If applicable, Square will send this team member an email inviting them to create their own login for accessing your online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device. If using Square Shifts for labour management, they can also access their timecards in the Square Team app. If the team member didn’t receive the ‘You’re invited’ email, advise to them check their spam/junk folder.
After selecting permissions and access points for your team member, the next step is to enable locations and provide credentials (e.g. personal passcode). Team members use the personal passcode credential to clock in/out so you can track their time and sales.
- Click No Locations to select the appropriate location your team member will work from. Note: If you’re using multiple locations and would like to give your team member permission for each, toggle on Assign to All Current and Future Locations.
- Click Save.
- Under Credentials, create a personal passcode that the team member will use to log in and track time. This can be customised or created randomly by clicking Generate.
- Click Save.
Note: Make sure to keep this passcode for your records and provide it to your team member. Each passcode is unique per team member – this is how they’ll access the Square app on any device that is paired to your business location.
- Sign in to Staff > Team in your online Square Dashboard > Permissions.
- Select an existing permission set and make edits.
- Click Save. Any changes made apply to all team members assigned to the permission set.
- To delete a permission set, click Delete.
Note: If active team members are still assigned to this permission set, they’ll need to be removed from the permission set before it can be deleted.
Setting up Team Permissions and Team Passcode
With Team Management, you’ll also have access to a single set of Team Permissions for all team members for free. With Team Permissions, you can give all team members the same set of permissions when accessing the Square Point of Sale and online Square Dashboard on their own device. In addition, you can set up a Team Passcode that your team members will use to log in to your point of sale. The Team Permissions you set up will apply to the Team Passcode, so you can control what actions and information your team can access on a shared point of sale.
A Team Passcode is recommended for businesses which don’t need to track time or sales by team member, or give specific team members different permissions than the rest of the team.
- Visit Staff > Team > Permissions in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Team Permissions and confirm the level of access and permissions. Click Continue.
- Create or generate a random team passcode for team members using a shared point of sale. Record and share this passcode with your team.
- Select the permissions you’d like all team members to have. If a team member tries to access an area you haven’t selected, they’ll need a passcode from a team member with the correct permissions enabled to proceed.
- Click Save.
Note: Team Permissions can also be enabled when creating a team member for the first time.
- Visit Staff > Team > Permissions.
- Select Team Permissions.
- Create or generate a random team passcode. Record and share this passcode with your team.
- Click Save.
- From the navigation menu, visit Settings > Security > Passcodes.
- Tap the existing Team Passcode.
- Enter your Owner Passcode.
- Enter your new Team Passcode > tap Save.
- Share the new passcode with your team.
Setting up Team Management in Point of Sale
Once you’ve created permission sets and team member profiles, you’re ready to enable Team Management in the Square app.
- From the navigation menu, tap More.
- Tap Settings > Security > Passcodes.
- Toggle on Allow Team Passcode. Note: An owner passcode or full access passcode is required to turn this permission on.
- By default, your team will only have access to accept payments, while all other actions will require an Owner’s passcode. If you’d like to grant your team members permissions like issuing refunds or viewing reports, tap Edit. You’ll be directed to Permissions in your online Square Dashboard on a mobile browser.
- Create a Team Passcode for team members using a shared point of sale > select what you’d like to grant access to.
- Tap Save > return to the Square Point of Sale app.
At this point, any team member using the Team Passcode will be able to accept payments and access areas and functions of the point of sale you’ve selected for Team Permissions. If a team member needs to access any restricted areas or take a restricted action, you’ll need to enter the owner passcode with the correct permissions enabled.
Personal passcodes allow you to require team members to use a passcode for certain actions. On top of that, your team members will be able to log in to the Square app without an email address or password on any device paired to your business location. Note: The permission set you have assigned to a team member is associated with their personal passcode.
Once logged in using a personal passcode, team members can accept payments which will appear in their individual sales report, and take other actions specific to their permission set.
- Open the Square App and sign in with your owner email, or a device code. If you sign in using a device code, be sure to enter your passcode with permissions to manage settings.
- From the navigation menu, tap ≡ More.
- Tap Settings > Security > Passcodes > toggle Passcodes on.
- Under Require passcode, select between After each sale and/or When backing out of a sale.
- Tap timeout to select how long your point of sale can be inactive before locking.
Once you have passcodes enabled in your Point of Sale app, you have the ability to disable them at any time. Note: Disabling passcodes will prevent team members from logging in to the point of sale with a team passcode or personal passcode.
- From the navigation menu, tap More.
- Tap Settings > Security > Passcodes.
- Toggle off Allow Team Passcode.
Deactivate/Reactivate Team Member
If a team member leaves your business – either permanently or temporarily – you can deactivate their profile.
- From Staff > Team > Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, select a team member.
- Click the three-dotted actions drop-down > Deactivate Team Member > confirm.
Note: Your team member’s information will not be lost or deleted once they are deactivated, and they can be reactivated at any time.
- From Staff > Team > Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click the Status drop-down menu on the left > click Inactive.
- Click on the team member’s name > Reactivate Team Member.
- To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, click Edit under Permissions and select or create a permission set from the drop-down menu.
- To allow your team member to sign into the Square app using a passcode, enter a custom four-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the online Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in.
Note: It is important to retain this for your records because this is the passcode your team member will use to access a point of sale with team management enabled.
Enabling Team Permissions allows you to track sales when team members use their 4-digit passcode when processing Square sales.
To view your team's individual sales report:
Visit the Reports tab from your online Square Dashboard and click Team Sales.
Select the date period and location that you'd like to view.
Click Filter By then tick Team Member (collected by).
Click All Team Members to select individual team members.
Learn more about Square's advanced reporting options.
The Activity Log in your online Square Dashboard allows you to monitor sensitive actions taken by your team – such as processed refunds, comps/voids, updates to item inventory, changes to tip settings and discounts.
With Team Management, you have free access to view the time and location of each action taken in your Square app and Virtual Terminal. By upgrading to Team Plus, you’ll also be able to view and filter actions by team member. With this more granular reporting, you will be able to see which team members are issuing refunds, comps and discounts, and updating inventory and voiding transactions.