Create a Device Code for Square for Restaurants
With Square for Restaurants, rather than using your email address and password to sign in, you’ll need to create a device code. A device code can only be used on a single device – so if you have multiple devices at a location, create a unique code for each device accessing the Restaurants POS app. Once you create a device code, you can sign in and start taking orders.
If you’re just getting started with Square for Restaurants, learn more about setting up your account. Check out the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
To get started:
- Log in to your online Square Dashboard.
- Tap Points of Sale from your navigation drop down, then select Devices
- Click Add Device.
- Next, enter the device Nickname, for instance, “Bar Device”. Note: To keep the naming consistent, you may want to name your device (with Square) similarly to your iPad (with Apple). Check out Apple’s Guide to find out how.
- Make sure that your device type is selected as Restaurant.
- Add your device to a settings group by enabling Manage Device Using Shared Settings or customise an individual device.
- Once you are happy with your settings, click Create in the upper right corner.
- Next, you’ll see your device code (you’ll use this code to sign into the Restaurants app) – you can enter your email or phone number to have the code sent to you. Keep in mind, you have to use your device codes for the first time within 48 hours.
- Click Done.
Note: Keep your new device code somewhere safe, you’ll need it to log in to the Restaurants app.
In order to get the most out of your devices with Square for Restaurants, you’ll want to make sure you customize your device settings.
Be sure to read the permissions list as thoroughly as possible. Your Device Settings control what you can do on your Restaurants Point of Sale.
Remember, you can have different Device Settings across each device and location.
Create Shared Device Settings
If you’re planning on using the same device settings for more than one point of sale, you can create shared settings to help you customise multiple devices with just a couple of clicks from your online Square Dashboard.
To create shared device settings:
- Log in to your online Square Dashboard > Points of Sale.
- Click Create Shared Settings. Choosing the pre-set point-of-sale settings automatically enables typical features. For example, if you select Table Service, settings like Course Management and Track Seating will be enabled by default.
- Select Create New Setting. Customize your settings – including receipt type, tipping and cash management preferences.
- Click Create.
Once you’re done setting up your shared device settings, you’ll see the option to add a device to the group you’ve created – including existing devices.
To update an existing device to access your shared settings group:
- Click on the device to update > toggle on Manage Device Using Shared Settings.
- Choose Select Settings. You can select an existing settings group, or create new shared settings.
- Click Save.
Devices not assigned to a specific shared settings group will be listed in alphabetical order under Other Devices.
The Service Settings tab on your online Square Dashboard allows you to customise your restaurant’s workflow – ranging from closing procedures to menu behaviour.
Closing Procedures: Customising closing procedures will keep your team members from running a Close of Day or Shift Report before completing certain actions. For instance, when you enable Close all open bills, team members will not be able to end the day until each open bill is closed.
Menu Behaviour: Allows you to set the default screen after you add an item to a bill.
Printed Receipts: When you have a compatible printer connected for paper receipts, you can choose to consolidate or list out items and modifiers.
Service Charge: Set up an automatic service charge for a customisable percentage for certain table sizes. For example, for tables of one or more, you could apply a service charge of 12%.
Tips: If your restaurant accepts optional tipping, tips will be assigned to either a) the team member who opens the table, or b) the team member who closes the bill.
Straight Fire Categories: Send specific item categories straight to the bar or kitchen. For example, drinks or appetisers.
Learn more about getting started with Square for Restaurants.