With Open Tickets, you can create, edit and save an order before completing a sale on your mobile device.
Turn On Open Tickets
- From the Square app, tap the following symbol on the navigation bar:
- Tap Settings > Open Tickets.
- Tap Open Tickets and toggle the feature on.
If you use multiple devices with a single Square account, you can access any open ticket from any logged-in device.
Note: If you’re using Square’s Employee Management features on an iPad, learn how to manage employee permissions for Open Tickets.
Create and Manage Open Tickets
Create a new ticket before a sale
- Tap the keypad icon and > Tickets.
- Tap New Ticket.
- Enter a ticket name > tap Save.
- Add items or custom amounts to the ticket.
- Tap Save.
Create a new ticket during a sale
- Add items or custom amounts to the sale > tap Save.
- Tap New Ticket.
- Enter the ticket information > tap Save.
Edit or delete an open ticket
- Tap Tickets > locate and tap the ticket you’d like to update.
- Tap the arrow next to the ticket name > make your updates.
- Tap Save, or tap Delete > Confirm Delete.
Note: If you’re using a kitchen ticket printer, a new order ticket will print when new items are added to an open ticket.
Split Open Tickets on Tablets
If a party needs to separate the bill, you can split an open ticket on an iPad or Android tablet and charge customers individually. To split an open ticket:
- Tap Tickets > select a ticket to open.
- Tap the arrow in the top right-hand corner > Split Ticket.
- Tap the item(s) you’d like to move to a new ticket > Split New Ticket. Repeat this for each new ticket.
- Tap Save at the bottom of each ticket, or Save All at the top right-hand corner.
Merge Open Tickets on Tablets
Merge multiple tickets to one master open ticket on an iPad. To do so:
- Tap Tickets.
- Locate and tap a ticket name from the list.
- Tap the down arrow next to the ticket name > Merge Ticket.
- Select the ticket(s) to merge with > Merge.
- Select the master ticket that will display all the merged items.
- Tap Merge.
Note: If Employee Management is turned on, the employee assigned the open ticket will receive credit for the sale once the ticket is closed and the customer’s payment has been processed.
Print and Close Open Tickets
When your customer is ready to pay, locate their open ticket and close the sale.
- Tap Tickets > tap your customer’s ticket to add it to the current sale.
- If you’re using a receipt printer and have “Receipts and Bills” toggled on, you can print your customer’s ticket before settling the payment. To do so, tap the ticket name > Print Bill.
- Tap Charge > select a payment method > complete the sale.
Once an open ticket is closed, the completed payment can be viewed from your in-app payment activity or your online Square Dashboard, and funds will be sent to your linked bank account following your deposit schedule. Learn more about viewing your payment history.
Note: Payment card information isn’t stored within the app and won’t appear on printed receipts. You’ll need to close an open ticket and charge your customer when they’re ready to pay.
Reprint Order Ticket
To reprint an order from your open tickets:
- Select Tickets.
- Tap Edit.
- Select ticket to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.