Use Your Square Gift Cards
Set Gift Card Default Amounts
By default, the Square Point of Sale app will display the amounts $10, $15, $20, $25 and $50 to be loaded onto a gift card. If you’d like to set your own default amounts and turn off the option to load custom amounts, follow these steps:
- Visit the Gift Cards page of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Enter your preferred default amounts > click Save.
Toggle Allow Custom Gift Card Amounts to Off to disable this option in the Square app.
Sell Your Gift Cards
To load and issue a gift card:
- From the Checkout screen, tap Library > Gift Cards.
- Swipe or enter the gift card number.
- Select a default preset load value or, if the option is enabled, enter a custom load amount.
- If you swipe the gift card, the amount will automatically load. If you manually enter the gift card number, tap Load.
- To add additional items to the sale, tap the arrow to return to your item library or tap the keypad icon.
- Tap Charge to complete the sale.
Take a look at our video tutorial for more information on how to start selling your Square gift cards.
Important Tips for Loading and Selling Your Gift Cards
- A gift card is activated once the sale is complete.
- Only plastic gift cards ordered through eCard Systems can be loaded, sold or accepted from the Square app.
- Checking a gift card balance is the same process as loading a gift card.
- You can reload a gift card at anytime – before or when the balance reaches $0. You can also clear a card’s balance and reuse it for another customer.
- The maximum value for a single gift card is $2,000. You may not issue more than $10,000 in gift cards to any single person in any one day.
- You can apply a discount to a gift card sale to issue promotional gift cards to your customers. Learn how to create discounts.
- When refunding a gift card payment, be sure to also clear the balance of the physical gift card from the app. If the gift card is not present during the refund, you can locate the gift card’s transaction history from your online Square Dashboard to clear its balance. Clearing the balance will deactivate and void the gift card. You’re then able to re-use the card for a future customer or recycle it if you’d no longer like to keep it.
Accept Your Gift Cards
If there are insufficient funds on the gift card, you can use Split Tender to complete the sale.
Note: After a sale, any remaining gift card balance will display on the receipt screen and on your customer’s receipt.
Customers can also use your gift cards to place orders through your Square Online Store. During checkout, your customers will have the option to enter the gift card code (located on the back of the card). If the amount on the gift card doesn’t cover the total, your customer can pay the remainder with their credit or debit card.
Note: Gift Cards can only be redeemed from Square Online Store. There currently isn’t a way to redeem a gift card from 3rd-Party eCommerce integrations.
Note: You are able to use your customer’s gift card to pay for their invoice if you have your customer’s gift card on file and the balance covers the invoice total.
Check a Gift Card Balance
To check the balance of a gift card, go to the Square app.
- From the Checkout screen, tap Gift Cards.
- Swipe or enter the gift card number.
- The gift card balance should be shown at the top next to the gift card number.
- You can leave the screen or load more value on this gift card.
Note: Tapping Clear Balance will clear any remaining balance and unlink the gift cards from customer receipts.
View a Gift Card’s Transaction History
- From your online Square Dashboard, click Sales > Transactions.
- Select any transaction completed with the gift card in question or you can search by the last 4 digits of the gift card.
- Click the Gift Card link to view the payment history.
To view the receipts for each gift card transaction, click the receipt link on the left side of the popup window.
Note: Clear Balance will clear any remaining balance and unlink the gift cards from customer receipts.