Use Your Square Gift Cards
Set Gift Card Default Amounts
By default, the Square Point of Sale app will display $10, $15, $20, $25, and $50 default amounts to be loaded onto a gift card. If you’d like to set your own default amounts and turn off the option to load custom amounts, follow these steps:
- Visit the Gift Cards page of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Enter your preferred default amounts > click Save.
Toggle Allow Custom Gift Card Amounts to Off to disable this option in the Square app.
Sell Your Gift Cards
To load and sell a gift card:
- From the Checkout screen, tap Library > Gift Cards.
- Tap Check Balance and swipe or enter the gift card number.
- Select a default load value or, if the option is enabled, enter a custom load amount.
- To add additional items to the sale, tap the arrow to return to your item library or tap the keypad icon.
- Tap Charge to complete the sale.
Important Tips for Loading and Selling Your Gift Cards
- A gift card is activated once the sale is complete.
- Only plastic gift cards ordered through the Square Shop or eCard Systems can be loaded, sold, or accepted with the Square app.
- Checking a gift card balance is the same process as loading a gift card.
- You can reload a gift card at anytime – before or when the balance reaches $0. You can also clear a card’s balance and reuse it for another customer.
- The maximum value for a single gift card is $2,000. You may not issue more than $10,000 in gift cards to any single person in any one day.
- You can apply a discount to a gift card sale to issue promotional gift cards to your customers. Learn how to create discounts.
- When refunding a gift card payment, be sure to also clear the balance of the physical gift card from the app. If the gift card is not present during the refund, you can locate the gift card’s transaction history from your online Square Dashboard to clear its balance. Clearing the balance will deactivate and void the gift card. You’re then able to re-use the card for a future customer, or recycle it if you’d no longer like to keep it.
Accept Your Gift Cards
To accept gift cards with the Square app:
- Go to Checkout > add the items your customer wishes to purchase from your library or enter a custom amount
- Tap Charge > swipe the gift card through your magstripe reader or the front of Square Stand. Alternatively, if the customer has an eGift Card, tap Manual Gift Card Entry and enter the gift card information when your customer is ready to pay.
If there are insufficient funds on the gift card, you will receive a notification in the app. You will be given the choice to Charge this card and continue to reduce the balance on the card to zero and accept an additional payment, or cancel the payment (by pressing the x in the top left-hand corner) and accept a different method of payment entirely.
Note: After a sale, any remaining gift card balance will display on the receipt screen and on your customer’s receipt.
Check a Gift Card Balance
To check the balance of a gift card, head to the Square app.
- From the Checkout screen, tap Gift Cards.
- Swipe or enter the gift card number.
- The gift card balance should be shown at the top next to the last 4 digits of the gift card number.
- You can leave the screen or load more value on this gift card.
You can add a link to your website so your customers can check their gift card balance online. Create the link from your online Square Dashboard.
Note: Tapping Clear Balance will clear any remaining balance on the gift card.
View a Gift Card’s Transaction History
- From your online Square Dashboard, click Sales > Transactions.
- Select any transaction completed with the gift card in question or you can search by the last 4 digits of the gift card.
- Click the Gift Card link in the pop up receipt to view the payment history.
To view the receipts for each gift card transaction, click the receipt link on the left side of the popup window.