If you sell online with Square and we determine that you follow the best practices listed below, we offer protection against eligible chargebacks related to unauthorized payments.
Help us by following the best practices. We’ll help you in the rare event something goes wrong.
Best Practices for Selling Online
- Sales can only occur in the United States and must be shipped to U.S. addresses.
- Orders must be shipped to the buyer’s address as listed in the Square Dashboard within your set order fulfillment or preparation time. Preparation time is calculated from the date the order was placed until you ship and complete the order.
- Provide tracking information to your customers.
- Require signature confirmation at delivery for orders over $250.
- A clear refund policy should be featured prominently in your online store, where it’s visible to your customer.
- Items must be accurately described and photographed.
- Items must not be a high-risk goods.
- Require proof of identity at the time of pickup for orders over $250. Check the buyer’s ID and credit card to confirm the name and card number match the info on the order.
- For orders over $500, obtain a signed invoice upon pickup.
Document Online Store Sales
Square might request proof of purchase, proof of delivery or pickup, a descriptive summary of goods sold, and any other information related to a transaction. Review the Square Seller Agreement for specific details.