Square's Information Collection Policies
We go to great lengths to ensure your personal information, and that of your customers’, is protected. Learn more about Square’s privacy and security policies.
Information Collected by Square
When you register for a Square account, we collect the following information:
- When you create a Square account: we collect your name, location, phone number, email address and other related information.
- When you access your Square account to settle funds: we collect bank account and payment card numbers, and information about financial institutions where you conduct business.
- When we verify your identity and underwrite your application for an account: we will request additional personal information to confirm your identity and manage our risk. We may ask you for your birth date or other personal information. At times we will obtain information about you from third party verification services and credit bureaus.
- When you use our service: we record your account transactions, transaction location, and we may collect information about your computer or access device.
Additional information from or about you may also be collected in other ways, including responses to customer surveys or your communications with our customer service team. We collect account and transaction information through technologies such as cookies and log files.
It is important for us to track how our website is used, and we (or our service providers) may place “cookies” on your computer or device. Cookies are small data files that identify you when you use our services. You have the option to decline our cookies by using your browsers settings tools, but this may interfere with your use of our website and services.
Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you register with or view our site, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
Protecting your Personal Information
Any information that can be used to identify a person is “Personal Information.” This does not include information that has been aggregated or made anonymous. All information is securely stored on our servers. Our safeguards and procedures have been implemented in accordance with applicable law and regulations to maintain the physical and electronic security of our software, services and your personal information. Our measures include firewalls, system-wide data encryption, physical and electronic access controls, and strict rules regarding the access and use of data on our system.
Using Personal Information
We use your personal information to provide you the features and functionality of the service, and may share it with our trusted third parties, to ensure that you have a safe, high-performance experience when using the service. When you use the service, including accepting or making a payment, requesting funds, contacting customer service or requesting technical support, in addition to many other interactions with Square, we will apply the information that we have collected. Knowing this information allows us to verify your identity, communicate with you, and enforce our agreements with you, as well as secure the best possible experience for all Square members by ensuring compliance with provincial and national laws and our own policies. We may also use this information to measure how our members use the service, and improve and enhance our offerings to you.
Square may use certain information about you without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We do this for purposes such as analyzing how the service is used, diagnosing service or technical problems, maintaining security, and personalizing content.
Sharing Personal Information
Processing payments requires that we share your personal information with third parties, including but not limited to:
- Service providers who provide us a range of essential operational services including fraud prevention, transaction processing, collections, direct marketing, and managed technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Verification services and credit bureaus to underwrite your application for Square accounts and to comply with our legal credit reporting rights and obligations.
- Financial institutions that allow us to offer your payment processing services, and partner with us to develop new offerings for you and other Square members.
- Fellow Square members who may accept payments from you, or provide services to you, through using Square.
- Law enforcement authorities or government representatives who may require us to share information in order to comply with court order and other legal mandates, or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to report suspicious activities, prevent physical harm, financial loss, or violations of our agreements and policies.
- Other third parties, subject to your prior consent or direction.
As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets or business offerings. Customer, Member, transaction, email, and visitor information is generally one of the transferred business assets in these types of transactions. We may also transfer such information in the course of corporate divestitures, mergers, or dissolution.
From time to time, we may run contests, special offers, or other events or activities on the service together with third party partners. If you provide information to such third parties, you give them permission to use it for the purpose of that event and any other use that you approve. We cannot control third parties’ use of your information. If you do not want your information to be collected by or shared with a third party, you can choose not to participate in these events.
Compromise of Personal Information
Your choices about your Information
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through the Service, in which case Square may not be able to provide certain services to you. You may update or correct your account information at any time by logging in to your account. You can review and correct the information about you that Square keeps on file by contacting us.