Square has tools to help you manage your team easily across various locations and roles. With Employee Management, you can maintain staff timesheets, control employee permissions and access advanced reporting tools.
Create Employee Roles and Assign Permissions
Define and restrict what your different employees can access from the Square app and dashboard with employee roles and permissions. Employee permissions also add a new level of account security – you decide which of your employees have dashboard access, can modify your item library, manage employees, issue refunds and more.
Note: Employee Roles must be created before employees. This is because employees have access to your Square account – their degree of access must be designated before they can log in.
To create a new employee role:
- From Permissions in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Role in the upper-right corner.
- Add the name of the role – for example, Manager or Cashier.
- Check the box next to each permission you’d like to enable for this role. Toggle on Employees can Sign in to Your Dashboard to allow access to your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Save.
When an employee is granted dashboard access, they’ll receive an email inviting them to log in for the first time. If your employee cannot find their invitation email, we recommend that they check their spam folder. To resend an invitation, ask your employee to visit Squareup.com/login and click Reset Password.
Note: Click Edit Guest Point of Sale Access to set the permissions of anyone who will access the Square app without logging in as an employee.
Once you’ve created Employee Roles, you’re ready to create employees. An employee is anyone who has access to your Square account.
Create a New Employee
- From the Employee List in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Employee in the upper-right corner.
- Enter the employee’s name and personal information.
- To allow your employee to log in to the Square app to accept payments on a shared device, toggle on Permissions and select or create a role from the dropdown menu.
- To allow your employee to sign into the Square app using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your employee’s role allows them to access Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in.
This employee will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing Dashboard and/or the Square app on their personal device.
Note: An employee invitation can’t be sent to an email address currently in use by the owner of another Square account.
Deactivate an Employee
If an employee leaves your business – either permanently or temporarily – you can deactivate their account. You won’t pay for deactivated employees, their account information is saved for your records and you can reactivate them at any time.
- From the Employee List in your online Square Dashboard, click the name of an employee.
- At the bottom-left of the employee details page, click Deactivate > Deactivate Employee.
Note: Your employee’s information will not be lost or deleted once they are deactivated.
Reactivate an Employee
- From the Employee List in your online Square Dashboard, click the status drop-down menu on the left > click All.
- Click on the employee’s name > Reactivate.
- Click Assign Passcode.
Note: It is important to retain this for your records because this is the passcode your employee will use to access a register with employee management enabled.
Enable Employee Management on the Square App
Once you’ve created permission groups and employees, you’re ready to enable Employee Management in the Square app.
- Open the Square app and sign in with your email or a device code. If you sign in using a device code, be sure to enter a passcode that has been enabled with permissions to manage settings.
- Tap the three horizontal lines on the bottom navigation bar.
- Tap Settings > Employee Management.
- Tap Enable Employee Passcode Access to enable.
- Enter your employee passcode to save these changes.
- Select a preferred timeout period for the Square app.
- Tap your initials on the bottom right to exit your session in the app and allow your employees to log in and begin accepting payments.