Get Started with Team Management
Square has tools to help you manage your team easily – across various locations, devices and job functions. With Team Management, you can track your team’s time, manage their access to your Square Point of Sale and online Square Dashboard and optimise labour costs.
Team Management also makes it easy for you to pay your team using Square’s online payroll service or any other provider.
|Team Management||Team Plus|
|Pricing||Free for all locations||£20/mo per location|
|Square POS integration||✔️||✔️|
|Break violation reporting||-||✔️|
|Multiple wage rates||-||✔️|
|One set of permissions||✔️||-|
|Unlimited sets of permissions||-||✔️|
|Analytics & Reporting|
|Sales reporting by team member||-||✔️|
|Aggregate Sales vs Labour reporting||-||✔️|
|Individual Sales vs Labour reporting||-||✔️|
With Team Management, you’ll have free access to Team Permissions, a team-wide set of permissions across your Square Point of Sale and/or online Square Dashboard. By upgrading to Team Plus, you’ll be able to create unlimited permission sets, track sales and multiple wages per team member, labour cost vs sales reports and more.
How it Works
Team Management uses permissions and passcodes to give team members access to the tools they need for the job, and gives you the controls and reports you need to run your business.
Below are a few terms to know about Team Management:
Permission sets can be created and assigned to your team members by job function at your business. Determine team member access to your online Square Dashboard and the Square Point of Sale, Appointments and Invoices apps.
For example, you can create a permission set for cashiers that gives them access to only accept payments from the Square Point of Sale, then another permission set for managers which allows them to issue refunds, edit items and settings, comp items and access what they need in your online Square Dashboard. Another permission set can be created for bookkeepers to only access certain areas of your online Square Dashboard, like sales and transfer reports. It is important to keep in mind that permission sets can be created for individual team members based on their specific duties and be reused with future team members performing the same functions.
With Team Management, you’ll have access to a single set of Team Permissions for all team members for free, and unlimited permission sets for £20 a month per location with a team member assigned to it.
Team Member Profile
Create team member profiles to save their contact information and assign them permissions
and wages specific to their job at your business. Note: Deactivated profiles are not deleted from your account, but can remain hidden and be reactivated at any time.
Job titles allow you to assign a team member one or more job functions and respective wages. For example, a team member can clock in as a Host for the beginning of their shift, then switch to Server and be tracked and paid accordingly. Job titles do not determine a team member’s permissions and are only used to track labour cost, jobs performed, and wages paid for each job. However, you must assign a job title to your team members before you can enable their permissions.
A Team Passcode is the easiest and quickest way to give your team access to accept payments while securing specific areas and actions in the point of sale. This means all team members will share the same access and permissions across the Square Point of Sale app, while the account owner’s passcode unlocks any restricted areas and actions.
A Team Passcode is recommended for businesses which don’t need to track sales by team member or give specific team members different permissions than the rest of the team.
Personal Passcodes are for tracking the performance and time of individual team members. If they’re assigned to a permission set other than Team Permissions, Personal Passcodes will enable you to track sales by team member.
A team member can sign in to the Square Point of Sale app using their Personal Passcode to clock in for their shift, have their individual sales tracked and have access to permissions specific to their assigned permission set. When clocking out, team members can print their workday summary — which includes clock in and out times, breaks and total paid hours.
Personal Passcodes can be used by team members assigned to the free Team Permissions permission set for timecard tracking purposes.
Create Permission Sets and Assign Permissions
Define and restrict what your team members can access from the Square Point of Sale app and online Square Dashboard with Custom Permission Sets. Custom Permission Sets also add a new level of account security - you decide which of your team members have access to your online Square Dashboard, can modify your item library, manage team members, issue refunds and more.
To give a team member permission to contact Square Support about account-specific information, add them as an Authorised Representative for free. This is also a great option for individuals who just need to call Square Support, but don’t need additional access to your account, like a bookkeeper.
Another option is setting up a Team Passcode, which lets team members accept payments on a shared point of sale while requiring a Personal Passcode with the correct permissions to access restricted areas and functions like issuing refunds. Managing all team members with just Team Passcodes is free and a helpful option if you don’t need to track sales by team members, but want to track timecards and keep access to areas of the point of sale secure. You’ll then use your owner passcode to override certain actions and manage settings.
Create a New Team Permission Set
- Sign in to the Team section of your online Square Dashboard > Permissions.
- Click Create Permission Set & enter a permission set name (e.g. Cashier, Manager, Delivery Driver).
- Tick the box for every permission you would like to give a team member access to.
- Click Continue & select where you would like to give the team member access:
- Shared Points of Sale: Allow this employee to access your Point of Sale using a 4-digit passcode (e.g. multiple employees sharing the same point of sale).
- Mobile Point of Sale: Allow this employee to sign in to the Square app using their own email and password on their own device (e.g. employees taking payments on the go).
- Dashboard: Allow this employee to sign in to your online Square Dashboard using their own email and password.
- Click Save.
Once created, any team member can be assigned to this permission set from their profile.
Edit or Delete Team Member Permission Sets
To edit a permission set:
- Sign in to the Team section of your online Square Dashboard & Permissions.
- Select an existing permission set and make edits.
- Click Save. Any changes made apply to all team members assigned to the permission set.
To delete a permission set, click Delete. Note: If active team members are still assigned to this permission set, they’ll need to be removed from the permission set before it can be deleted.
Create and Manage Team Member Profiles
Create a New Team Member Profile
Once you’ve set up permission sets, you’re ready to create team member profiles. A team member is anyone who has access to your account via the Square Point of Sale app and/or online Square Dashboard.
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Team Member.
- Enter the member’s name and personal information & Save.
- Under Compensation, select whether this team member is exempt from overtime. This is only necessary if you are tracking timecards with Square. Assign or create a job title and enter their wage.
- To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, clock in/out using the Square app and/or access the online Square Dashboard, click Enable Permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
- To allow your team member to sign in to the Square app and clock in/out using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in. This will send the team member an email inviting them to create a password for their account.
- If a team member has been given access to both the Square app and online Square Dashboard, they’ll need a Personal Passcode and an email address which they’ll use to sign in.
- Once finished, click Save.
If applicable, this team member will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device.
Create a New Personal Passcode for a Team Member
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, select the team member who needs a new passcode.
- Under Permissions, click Edit & enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random. Make sure to record and share this passcode with the team member.
Note: Make sure to keep this passcode for your records and provide it to your team member. Each passcode is unique per team member – this is how they’ll access the Square app on any device that is paired to your business location via a device code.
Deactivate a Team Member
If a team member leaves your business – either permanently or temporarily – you can deactivate their profile. You won’t pay for deactivated team members and their account information is saved for your records so you can reference or reactivate them at any time.
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, select a team member.
- Click the three-dotted actions dropdown & Deactivate Team Member & confirm.
Note: Your team member’s information will not be lost or deleted once they are deactivated, and they can be reactivated at any time.
Reactivate a Team Member
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click the Status drop-down menu on the left > click Inactive.
- Click on the team member’s name & Reactivate Team Member.
- To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, click Edit under Permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
- To allow your team member to sign in to the Square app using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the online Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in.
Note: It is important to retain this for your records because this is the passcode your employee will use to access a point of sale with team management enabled.
Adding job titles and wages to a team member lets you track labour cost and, if using Square Timecards, view time spent performing one or multiple job functions at your business.
If a team member has more than one job, they will be able to choose from a job title when clocking in/out in the Square app and the wage for that job will be tracked in your labour cost reporting. For example, a team member can clock in as a Host for part of their shift, then switch to Manager.
Note: A team member’s job title is not associated with a particular permission set or set of permissions and is only used to track time and help team members clock in to the correct job in the Square app. To set permissions and limit account access, assign them a permission set from the Permissions section of your dashboard. While team members can now have multiple wages with job titles, they can still only have one permission set.
Add a Job Title and Wage
- From the Team Member list in your online Square Dashboard, select a team member.
- Under Compensation, enter a job title and the wage this particular team member is paid for performing that job.
- If they perform more than one job, click Add Another Wage, then enter a job title and wage. Team members assigned to multiple job titles will be prompted to choose which one applies to their shift when clocking in to the Square app.
Enable Team Management on the Square App
Once you’ve created permission sets and team member profiles, you’re ready to enable Team Management in the Square App.
Passcodes allow your team members to log in to the Square app without an email address or password on any device paired to your business location. Once logged in, team members can accept payments that will appear on their individual sales report.
- Open the Square App and sign in with your own email address or a device code. If you sign in using a device code, be sure to enter a passcode with permission to manage settings.
- From the navigation menu, tap Settings > Passcodes > Enable Passcodes.
- Under Require Passcode, select between After Each Sale of When Backing Out of a Sale to cancel a payment.
- Enter your passcode to save these changes.
- Select a preferred time-out period for the Square app.
- Tap Log Out on the bottom right to allow your team members to log in and begin accepting payments.
Disable Team Passcodes in your Point of Sale App
Once you have Team Management enabled in your Point of Sale app, you have the ability to disable it at anytime.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register.
- Tap Settings & Passcodes.
- Toggle Allow Team Passcode off.
Enable Shared Team Permissions
With Team Permissions, you can give all team members the same set of permissions when accessing the Square Point of Sale and online Square Dashboard on their own device, and set up a Team Passcode to control what actions and information your team can access on a shared point of sale:
Enable Team Permissions in Your Online Square Dashboard
- Visit Team & Permissions in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select Team Permissions.
- Create or generate a random team passcode for team members using a shared point of sale. Record and share this passcode with your team.
- Select the permissions you’d like all team members to have. If a team member tries to access an area you haven’t selected, they’ll need a passcode from a team member with the correct permissions enabled to proceed.
- Click Save.
Enable Team Permissions in Your Square Point of Sale
- From the navigation menu, visit Settings > Passcodes > turn Passcodes on.
- Turn Allow Team Passcode on.
- By default, your team will only have access to accept payments, while all other actions will require an Owner’s passcode. If you’d like to grant your team members permissions like issuing refunds or viewing reports, tap Edit. You’ll be directed to Permissions in your online Square Dashboard on a mobile browser. Create a Team Passcode for team members using a shared point of sale & select what you’d like to grant access to.
- Save & return to the Square Point of Sale app.
At this point, any team member using the set Team Passcode will be able to accept payments and access areas and functions of the point of sale you’ve selected for Team Permissions. To access restricted areas and functions, you’ll need to enter a passcode with the correct permissions enabled.
Edit Your Team Passcode
To edit your Team passcode from your online Square Dashboard:
- Visit Team & Permissions in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select Team Permissions.
- Create or generate a random team passcode. Record and share this passcode with your team.
To edit your Team Passcode from the Square app:
- From the navigation menu, visit Settings > Passcodes.
- Touch the existing Team Passcode.
- Enter your Owner Passcode.
- Enter your new Team Passcode > Save.
- Share the new passcode with your team.
View Your Activity Log
The Activity Log in your online Square Dashboard allows you to monitor sensitive actions taken by your team – such as processed refunds, comps/voids and discounts.
With Team Management, you’ll have free access to view the time and location of each action. By upgrading to Team Plus, you’ll also be able to view and filter by team member.