If your Square Reader for magnetic stripe cards isn’t working properly, try the troubleshooting tips below:
- Make sure you’re using a supported device.
- Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader.
- Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.
- With the Square app open, unplug the reader and firmly plug it back in.
- Update the Square app.
- Delete and reinstall the app on your device. See Apple support or Google support for instructions.
- Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings. Restore the bluetooth to accept payments with the Square Reader.
- Check for lint or dust in your headset jack. If you find debris, pull it out or blow carefully into the jack.
- Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.
- Check for corrosion inside your headset jack. If you see a green color, that’s evidence of corrosion and you may need to take your device in for service.
- Clear debris from the card reader slot with a cotton swab or a paper towel.
If your reader for magnetic stripe cards is broken, please contact us for a replacement.