Notes on Payments and Item Descriptions
With Square, you can add notes to items or custom amounts at the time of sale. For commonly entered notes, save descriptions to items in your item library. Learn more about creating items with descriptions.
Item descriptions appear on your digital receipts, in your payment history and in your Item Details spreadsheet. Item descriptions don’t appear on printed receipts.
Note: If a note and description are present for an item within a sale, only the note displays on your customers’ digital receipts and in the Item Details CSV.
Add Notes on a Smartphone
- Tap Current Sale and select the item or custom amount from the list.
- Add notes to the “Add a note” field and then tap Save.
- Tap X to return to the current sale.
Add Notes on a Tablet
- From the current sale, tap Current Sale and select the item or custom amount from the list.
- Add notes to the “Add a note” field and then tap Save on an iPad, or the checkmark on an Android tablet.
Note: Descriptions and notes cannot be added to a payment after it has processed.