Square Team App for Employers
The Square Team app allows team members to clock in/out, view their hours worked and timecards, view their pay for the week and view their team profile – all from their own iPhones or Android devices, at no additional charge. Not only does this help you manage your team better, but it also enables a contactless, hygienic clock in option – reducing the need for shared surfaces and potential crowding around the point of sale.
There are a few ways to get started with the Square Team app. If you have team members with email addresses already associated with their team profile, as well as the ability to log in to Mobile Point of Sale or Dashboard, they can download the app directly to their iPhone or Android device.
Note: For team members that already have email addresses associated with their team profile, you’ll need to reassign their permission set to invite them to use the Square Team app. To do so, visit the team member’s profile on your online Square Dashboard and select Edit under the Permissions section. After ensuring that they have the correct permissions, click Save.
To download the app:
Download the Square Team App for iPhone
- Tap the App Store icon on your iPhone.
- Tap the search icon (magnifying glass) > search for Square Team.
- Tap Get next to the Square Team app icon and follow the prompts to complete the download.
- Follow the prompts to set up your app.
Note: If you need help with your Apple ID, please contact AppleCare.
Download the Square Team App for Android
- Tap the Google Play icon on your device.
- Tap the search field or icon (magnifying glass) > search for Square Team.
- Tap the result Square Team > Install > follow the onscreen instructions to complete the download.
- Once you have downloaded the app, tap Open or locate the Square Team icon on your homescreen > open the app.
Note: If you need help setting up your Google account, please contact Google Help.
For employers that are creating new team members or updating permissions for existing team members, an onboarding email will be sent directly to the team member after their team profile and permissions have been successfully created or updated. Note: An email address is required in the team profile for a Square Team app onboarding email to be sent. To do so:
Send Square Team App Onboarding Email to New Team Member
- Visit the Team section in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Team Member.
- Enter the team member’s first and last name, along with their email address. Note: You will also have the option to enter their phone number and a unique Team Member ID.
- From their newly created team profile, select Complete setup.
- Once you’ve entered their Job Title details, select Set up permissions.
- Choose Team Permissions, an existing permission set, or Create a new permission set.
- Enable the appropriate permissions for the team member, including the ability to clock in/out > select the appropriate access points for the team member.
- Click Save.
You can also update permissions for existing team members by visiting their profile(s) from the Team section in your online Square Dashboard and clicking Edit next to Permissions. Once new permissions have been assigned, your new or existing team member(s) will receive an onboarding email to download the Square Team app.
Remote Clock in/out
You can enable/disable the ability to clock in/out from the Square Team app at any time. To do so, visit the Timecard Settings section of your online Square Dashboard.
Once your team member(s) have downloaded the Square Team app, they will be able to utilise a number of different features throughout the workday. You can find information on how to navigate the Square Team app below.
Main Overview Screen
From the main screen, team members can view their hours worked and estimated earnings for the current pay period, clock in/out and view their timecards. Note: Estimated earnings are based on data entered by you, the employer – this is your employees’ estimated gross weekly earnings and may not reflect actual wages to be paid. It doesn’t include tips, commissions, deductions or taxes.
Team members can tap the Clock In, Take Break or Clock Out buttons from the Home screen of the Square Team app to track their time. Note: You will need to enable permissions to allow your team members to track time from the app.
If you have assigned different job types or locations to team members, you can update these by tapping the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the Home screen. Team members using the Square Team app will have the option to switch locations and/or job titles through the Square Team app, but won’t be able to update. To ensure accurate timecards, all team members will need to allow the Square Team app to use their location while using the app. Learn more about enabling location services.
Team members can manage their shifts by keeping an eye on their hours worked and breaks taken. They will have the option to tap on a specific timecard to view the regular, overtime and total hours worked that shift.
Tap the three horizontal lines on the bottom navigation bar to view and edit:
To view their personal information, team members will tap their name at the top of the navigation bar.
Tap Sign Out to exit the app.