The holidays are coming. And if you know you’re going to have a seasonal rush, it might make sense to hire some extra hands. (To get a sense of which days are typically your busiest, sign in to your Square Dashboard).
Obviously, you don’t want to just blindly bring someone on. But prepping for interviewing candidates can be time consuming. So for those of you who are crazy busy, here’s a list of questions you should always ask in an interview:
- What’s your past retail experience?
- Have you ever worked in a store with seasonal rushes?
- Why are you in the market for a temporary position?
- What’s your availability? What days and hours can you work?
- Do you have flexibility in your schedule?
- Can you give me examples of times you’ve had to learn quickly on the job?
- What type of merchandise have you had the most success selling?
- Can you tell me about a time when you were at your best in helping a customer?
- What’s your strategy for handling difficult or stressed customers?
- Can you tell me about a time you had a problem on the job and how you fixed it?
- What do you like most about our store? Why do you want to work here?
Get the tools you need to hire, train, and manage seasonal workers with our holiday “Seasonal Hiring Guide”.
Photo credit: “20041205-00056” by Tristan Loper, Flickr, CC by 2.0, cropped from original