It’s no secret that Facebook Live is taking off for businesses. Eighty-one percent of internet users say they have watched more live-streamed content than they did a year prior. This creates a huge opportunity for brands to utilize Facebook Live to connect with their audiences. Streaming is also projected to more than double by 2021, becoming a $70 billion industry.
Research shows that live-streamed content can also be a powerful marketing tool. Seventy-three percent of consumers claim an increased amount of product and brand understanding after seeing and engaging with live video.
If you decide to conduct a Facebook Live session, preparation is key. It’s important to pair information or a focus with authenticity to give your community an opportunity to learn about you firsthand. Here are some ways to get started leveraging Live.
Get Started with Square Email Marketing
Email marketing software that turns occasionals into regulars
Why should your business utilize Facebook Live?
- To connect your community with the humans behind your business: One of the biggest benefits of hosting a Facebook Live video is to have the opportunity to truly engage in a back-and-forth conversation with the people who follow your business. You can use these Lives as a forum to host discussions about relevant topics and encourage users to comment with their thoughts and ideas. Plus, it helps you know what your audience wants more of in the future.
- It can help to humanize your brand with genuine, raw video content: Video live-streamed directly to your fans lets them see who the people behind the curtain are, which is a tactic that can help build trust in your brand.
- A Facebook Live broadcast sends a notification to your fans: Ideally, they see the notification and tune in to watch and engage with your stream. Worst-case scenario? They see that you went Live on their notification feed, a reminder that you’re active and looking to communicate with them.
How can my business get started with going Live?
- Iron out the technical details: Decide whether you want to utilize the camera in a mobile phone (make sure you have the Pages app) or use the camera in a laptop or computer. Ensure the space you choose to live stream has Wi-Fi, as high-quality video requires solid Wi-Fi.
- Test before you’re Live: For no surprises, try running a test by making your video’s privacy setting visible to “Only Me.” (The Only Me option is visible in Live Settings.)
- Location, location, location: Figure out a spot to broadcast that represents your business, isn’t too noisy, and is contained to prevent interruptions.
- Choose your Live’s own Ryan Seacrest: Which team members (and potentially customers) would you like to feature in your Live, and what would you like them to talk about? Brainstorm questions for your watchers to comment on, and make sure there’s a plan in place to read the comments so any questions get answered by your team in the broadcast.
When are the best times to leverage the Live feature?
If you’re hosting a promotional party for your business, appearing at a community event, or have a timely event on your Facebook content calendar that your audience would be interested in engaging with, go for it. This gives you something to talk about, and a chance to bring the exclusivity of an event to the users who can’t be there.
You can host giveaways straight from your Live and engage your audience by enticing them to comment with ideas or thoughts that ladder up to your brand values, and then rewarding them for it. For example: Win a $20 Gift Card—comment with your favorite [flavor/color/SKU] of [Your Brand]!
Kicking off campaigns
Are you starting a new product launch, beginning a special promotion, or itching to get the word out about a particular marketing campaign? Your Facebook audience is the perfect place to start. Use the live-stream space to introduce it to them. Showcase your new products or promotions with descriptions from the team that knows them best.