Whether splitting a dinner bill with friends or paying your landlord for the month’s rent, Square Cash is the easiest way to send money. Cash is available for both personal and business use.
If you’d like to use Cash for both business and personal use, we recommend creating two accounts and logging out between payments.
Square Cash Fees
|Business Payments||2.75% (paid by recipient)|
|Personal payments sent from a credit card||3% (paid by sender)|
Download the Cash App and Sign Up
The Square Cash app is compatible with iPhones running the latest iOS version and Android devices running the latest operating system. To get started, download the Cash app on your mobile device. To do so:
- Visit the iTunes App Store or Google Play.
- Search for Square Cash.
- Download the app.
Then, create an account:
- Open the app > enter your mobile phone number or email address > tap Next. You’ll receive a confirmation code via text message or email.
- Enter the code in the app > tap Next. If you don’t receive a code via text, tap Help in the lower-left for next steps.
- Select your primary use for Cash:
- Personal – to exchange money with friends and family only.
- Business – to accept payment for goods or services.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to finish signup and make sure to link your bank account so you can send and receive money.
Set up Your Virtual Card
You can send, receive, and spend cash right from the Square Cash app. To get started, enable your Virtual Card:
- Tap My Cash.
- Toggle on Virtual Card > accept the terms by tapping Continue.
- Provide a billing address for your Virtual Card.
Once your virtual card is enabled, you can use it to spend your cash with Apple Pay, online or in other apps.
To add your Virtual Card to Apple Pay:
- Tap My Cash
- Tap your virtual card > Add to Apple Pay.
- Tap Next > Agree > Done.
Initiate a Chargeback for your Virtual Card
If you believe that a payment has been made with your Virtual Card without your authorization, please contact us.
Square Cash for Personal Use
If you’ll primarily use Square Cash to exchange money with friends and family, select Personal Use when creating a new account.
With Cash for personal use, there’s no fee to send, request, or receive money. Learn more about our deposit timeline and sending and receiving limits.
Note: There is a 3% fee when payments are sent from a credit card.
Square Cash for Business
If you plan to use Square Cash to accept payments in exchange for products and services, select the primary use that most accurately describes you when creating a new account.
Note: There’s a 2.75% processing fee for payments received through Cash for Business.
Square Cash is a lightweight payment solution for your business. To process credit cards, access point-of-sale tools, and review business analytics, you’ll want to use Square Register.
If you’re currently a business using Square Cash to accept payments, you can upgrade to Cash for Business anytime.
Multiple Cash Accounts
You can create different Cash accounts for personal and business use. Each account must be associated with a unique email address or mobile phone number, but you can link the same credit or debit card to multiple accounts.
To switch between accounts on the same device, sign out of the app from your in-app settings and sign back in to the alternate account.
Note: It’s a good idea to check which account you’re signed into before sending or requesting money. To view your account information, visit your app settings.
Get a Business Account
Getting a business account is easy. To get started, make sure you’re using the latest version of the Cash app, then follow these steps:
- From the app, tap the icon in the top-left corner.
- Scroll down and tap Account Info > Change Account Type.
- Follow the prompts to either update your current account or add a new one.
Does Square Cash Work Internationally?
Square Cash is available to residents of all 50 United States. Residents must be 18 years or older and located within the U.S. to use Cash.
Currently, Cash isn’t available in U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands or outside the U.S., so you won’t be able to use Cash while traveling internationally, living abroad, or residing on overseas military bases.
With Square Cash, you’re in complete control of where your incoming payments get deposited. There are two options:
- Auto Cash Outs turned Off: If you would like to keep funds from your incoming payments in your Cash app for future use.
- Auto Cash Outs turned On: To deposit funds directly to your linked bank account every time someone sends you a payment, select this option and choose your preferred deposit speed.