Square’s Payment Processing Fees
Upon sign up, merchants are automatically enrolled in standard pricing:
- 2.75% for swiped magstripe card transactions, chip card transactions, contactless (NFC) payments
- 2.9% + 30 cents for paid Square Invoices
- 2.9% + 30 cents for Online Store and E-Commerce API sales
- 3.5% + 15 cents for manually entered transactions and Square Invoices paid with a card on file
The higher fee for manually entered transactions is due to the greater risk involved with these payments, as neither the card nor the buyer have to be present for this type of payment to occur.
Every card accepted has the same rate, and fees are taken out of the total amount of each transaction, including tax and tip.
Note: Square’s fees apply to all business types, including non-profit organizations.
No Hidden Fees
There are no fees for the following:
- Early termination
- Cash payments
- PCI compliance
Credit card fees are included in Square’s fees, so you will not incur any charges from credit card companies.
If you’re using Square Register to process payments, the app is free to download and your account is free to maintain. You can choose to upgrade your Square account to take advantage of subscription-based services like Employee Management, Appointments, and Customer Engagement.
Square’s Fees by Payment Type
The table below offers an example breakdown of Square’s simple pricing and fee structure:
|Swiped Magstripe Cards||2.75%|
|Contactless (NFC) Payments||2.75%|
|Paid Square Invoices||2.9% + 30 cents|
|Prepaid Gift Cards||2.75%|
|Keyed-in Cards||3.5% + 15 cents|
|Online Store sales||2.9% + 30 cents|
|E-Commerce sales||2.9% + 30 cents|
|Client Prepayments for Appointments||2.9% + 30 cents|
|Square Cash for Business||2.75%|
View Your Fees
View your current rates at any time from your online Square Dashboard. To view the fees taken out of each deposit:
- Log in to Deposits in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select a date range from the date selector tool in the upper-left corner.
- Select a deposit from the list for an overview of the total fees paid.
- To view fees associated with each transaction in your selected deposit date range, click Export directly under the date range button.