You can create and edit discounts from the Square app or from your online Square Dashboard. Apply discounts when recording sales in app, from any supported tablet or smartphone.
Note: If you’d like to create a variable discount – so that you can enter the amount at checkout – leave the discount field blank.
Create Discounts with the Square App
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the navigation bar and tap Items.
- Tap Discounts > Create Discount or select a discount to modify.
- Enter the discount details. Leave the value empty to create a variable discount.
- Tap Save.
Create Discounts Online
- Sign in to Discounts of your online Square Dashboard and click Create Discount.
- Enter the discount details. To determine the discount amount at checkout, leave the discount field blank.
- Click Save.
When recording purchases with Square, you can apply percentage or legal tender amount discounts to a current sale. If you’re using an Apple iOS device, you can also apply discounts to individual items within a sale.
Note: Discounts are applied before taxes.
Apply Discounts on iOS Devices
To apply discounts to an entire sale, tap the list icon to visit your item library and tap the discount you’d like to apply to the current sale.
To apply discounts to individual items in a sale:
- Tap Current Sale from the keypad screen and tap the item you’d like to discount.
- Toggle on the discount you’d like to apply. On the iPad, tap Save. On an iPhone, tap the arrow at the top-left of the screen to return to the current sale.
Apply Discounts on an Android Device
On an Android device, visit your item library and tap the discount to add it to the current sale.
Note: The ability to apply discounts at the item level isn’t currently available for Android. You can only apply discounts to an entire sale.
Apply Multiple Discounts
If you apply multiple discounts to an entire sale, they’ll compound. If you’re applying a combination of legal tender amount and percentage discounts, the percentage discount will be applied first followed by the legal tender amount discount.
Note: You can apply a specific discount to a given sale only once.