Employees assigned to the Mobile Staff role have the ability to accepts payments on your behalf using their own mobile device and login – free of charge. Mobile Staff can also be given the ability to issue refunds and take payments in Offline Mode without giving them access to sensitive account information or the ability to edit settings. If your employees need additional access to the Square app or Dashboard, you can create customisable permission groups with Square’s Employee Management.
Note: Mobile Staff is not recommended if you’d like to track employee sales on a shared device, or need advanced features like time card management, tip reconciliation or custom permission levels.
Invite Employees to Take Payments as Mobile Staff
- From the Employees section of your online Square Dashboard, select Create Employee
- Enter the employee’s details > Save.
- Click Employee Permissions > select Mobile Staff (Free).
- To view and edit permissions for Mobile Staff, click Edit Role. Note: The permissions selected apply to all individuals assigned to the Mobile Staff (Free) role, not just this employee.
- Enter the email address you’d like to send the Mobile Staff invitation to. This should be the email address the Mobile Staff employee will use to log in to the Square app.
- Click Save.
Edit Mobile Staff Role
- From the Permissions section of your online Square Dashboard, select Mobile Staff.
- Enable or disable permissions to accept payments in Offline Mode or Issue Refunds.
Note: The permissions selected apply to all individuals assigned to the Mobile Staff (Free) role.
Deactivate and Reactivate a Mobile Staff Member
If an employee leaves your business – either permanently or temporarily – you can deactivate their account. For your convenience, their employee profile is saved for your records and can be reactivated at any time.
Deactivate an Employee
- From the Employees section of your online Square Dashboard, select the employee you’d like to deactivate.
- Click the three-dotted Actions menu > Deactivate Employee.
Note: Your employee’s information or sales history will not be lost or deleted once they are deactivated.
Reactivate an Employee
- From the Employees section of your online Square Dashboard, click the status drop-down menu on the left > click All.
- Click on the employee’s profile > Reactivate Employee.
Mobile Staff Sales Reporting
You can track employee sales by navigating to the Employee Sales Report in your online Square Dashboard. You also will be able filter by Mobile Staff and drill down to each employee’s sales.
Note: Employees assigned to the Mobile Staff role will only have access to their own sales in the Square POS app.