My reader isn’t connecting with my device.
Before attempting to connect your reader, confirm the following:
- That you’re using a supported device with the Square Reader.
- That your device’s software is up to date. Android devices must have 4.4 or higher. Note: If you have an Apple device with iOS 9.0 or 10.0, update to the latest version. The reader will not wirelessly connect if you have iOS 9.0 or 10.0.
- Your device has the latest version of the Square app.
If the above steps don’t solve the issue, try one or more of the following tips:
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on from your device settings. If it’s on, try turning it off and back on.
- You need to connect the reader through the Square app. It will not pair through your device’s Bluetooth settings. If the reader appears connected within Bluetooth settings, select “Forget this device” and pair the reader again through the Square app.
- Check the your device is connected to the internet, you are unable to use your reader in Offline Mode.
- Make sure the Square app is open and that you’re signed in.
- Force quit the Square app and reopen it.
- Delete and reinstall the Square app after closing your cash drawer session and signing out of the app. This won’t affect your account. You can reinstall the app and sign back in.
- Turn your mobile device off and back on. If you’ve recently updated your OS, restart your device.
If these steps don’t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader. If a payment is cancelled, interrupted or declined, your customer may see a pending charge on their card statement
- Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
- While the reader is charging, use a hair grip, pen cap or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
- After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
- Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.
If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.
My reader doesn’t stay in pairing mode. The orange blinking lights turn red.
You may be holding down the reader’s power button for too long. Press it for 3-10 seconds and immediately release your finger when you see the orange blinking lights. If you see red blinking lights, you’ve held the button for too long and the reader has been reset.
Why doesn’t the reader connect wirelessly with my iPad 2?
The Square Reader pairs wirelessly to mobile devices via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), which is unavailable with iPad 2. The reader connects wirelessly with the iPad 3 or higher.
I’m having trouble taking contactless payments.
First, make sure your reader is properly connected to your device and that it’s not in sleep mode. If it’s connected, and you’re still having problems, force shutdown your reader by holding down the reader’s power button for 15-20 seconds. Release the power button, and then turn the reader back on.
Note: For added security, some banks occasionally require their customers’ to insert chip cards and enter their pin for contactless payments under the limit.
Can I accept payments with the reader without WiFi?
No, card payments require WiFi or mobile data to process the payments. You can record cash and other tender payments offline.
Why does my reader disconnect when I turn on Aeroplane Mode?
Aeroplane Mode disables Bluetooth on your device. If Bluetooth is off, your reader will disconnect.
To be sure all the basic set up steps are followed, you can always have a look at this instructional video for a visual guide on how to set up the reader: