Square’s inventory management gives you basic tools to keep a clear count of in-stock items in your item library. For items with inventory enabled, the stock count will update based on sales recorded from Square Point of Sale.
Note: Support for managing inventory within the Square app is unavailable. Stock counts and low stock alerts are managed in the online Dashboard.
Inventory is currently supported on Apple devices running iOS 8.0 or higher and Google Android devices running 4.4 or higher. Be sure you’re running the most up-to-date version of the Square app on a supported device.
Enable Inventory Management
Manage Inventory by Item
With inventory enabled, you can receive alerts in your dashboard for low-stock or sold out items, so you’ll know when to reorder and restock.
From your online Square Dashboard:
- Visit Item Library in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select an item from the list.
- To edit inventory by item variation, you can click on the variation row.
- Click Adjust Inventory to change inventory counts and enter stock actions per location.
- Click Edit stock tracking to set up tracking and set alerts on inventory counts. If stock reaches or drops below the alert threshold, a stock alert will be generated.
- Click Save to confirm your update.
From the Square Point of Sale app:
- Tap the three horizontal lines > Items.
- Create or select an existing item.
- Enter a stock amount under the item details or tap Prices, Sizes or SKUs to add stock to an item with multiple variations.
- To adjust stock, tap the stock amount > select a reason > enter amount to be adjusted.
You can also go straight to step 3 by pressing and holding an item from your in-app items grid.
Keep in mind, if you have multiple locations, inventory is established, edited and tracked on a per-location basis.
Note: You can also update your inventory alert settings at any time from Email Notifications in your online dashboard.
### Enable Inventory in Bulk
You can also enable inventory from your Inventory Excel (.xlsx) or CSV:
- Visit the Items Library tab and click the Import/Export button in the top right.
- Click Import Inventory and click Modify Item Library or Replace Item Library and Next.
- Select ”Download our template file.” This file contains your entire item library.
- Open the file and add your inventory by item in column G, New Quantity. Save the file to your computer as an Excel (.xlsx) or CSV file.
- Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window and click Upload
Note: At this time, the ability to enable and manage inventory is available only from your online Dashboard, and isn’t accessible from the Square app.
Manage Inventory for Individual Items
- Visit your Item Library.
- To view low and out of stock items for all categories, select All Categories or All Inventory in the upper-left corner.
- Adjust the In Stock quantity by clicking an item. Click “Manage Item Inventory and Alerts” to add or decrease the quantity.
- You can also manage stock alerts for the items by checking the Alert box and setting the alert threshold. If stock reaches, or drops below, the alert threshold, a stock alert email will be generated.
- Click Save.
Manage Inventory In Bulk
The Import tool allows you to download a report of your current inventory and update your inventory quantities in bulk. This is especially helpful for adding new inventory and verifying current stock.
To download an inventory report or make updates to your inventory in bulk:
- Click the Import/Export button on the top right of the Item Library tab.
- Click Modify Item Library or Replace Item Library and Next.
- Click “Download our template file” to download your current inventory Excel (.xlsx) or CSV report.
- In this report, update your Alert Threshold and New Quantity values and save the file to your computer. Do not edit any other columns to prevent trouble uploading the file.
- Drag and drop your saved file to the Import Inventory window and click Upload.
- Once the file is done uploading, click Confirm Import to confirm the changes.
- Click Done.
- Select Export Inventory from the drop-down menu to download, save, and print this information for your records.
Note: The Import Inventory tool is only for adjusting inventory and alert threshold quantities. You cannot create or edit your items here. To bulk edit or create your item library, choose Import Items from the drop-down menu.
Track Inventory on Square Point of Sale
When you record a sale in the Square app, inventory stock automatically decreases to reflect the updated item count.
Sold out items will not block recording a sale with Square Point of Sale. Your inventory will be updated accurately on your Square Dashboard to show any sold out item below 0, but you can record these sales.