When you make a purchase with a Square Seller, you have the option to enter your phone number to receive a digital receipt via text message. At this point, the phone number is attached to that payment card, so you won’t need to re-enter it after each Square purchase.
How can I change my phone number for digital receipts?
If you provide a phone number to receive a digital receipt from a Square Seller, this information will be pre-populated, but redacted (e.g., ** ** 1234 ) on the receipt screen for you to confirm during future purchases from Square Sellers. You can edit the pre-populated phone number at the point of sale by tapping the field and entering a new phone number.
Note: Square doesn’t share your contact information with sellers to whom you haven’t directly given your information. Even when you provide your phone number for a digital receipt after making a purchase at a Square Seller, your phone number is not visible to them. We will only show an obfuscated phone number (e.g., ** ** 1234 ) in your Customer Profile.
Why am I receiving a receipt not meant for me?
There are several ways that your phone number may have been mistakenly connected with a purchase you didn’t make:
- If a customer shares a credit card with other people in his / her family.
- If an individual who isn’t the owner of the card (e.g., a spouse or friend) borrowed the credit card and entered their own phone number at the time of purchase.
- If a customer makes an error typing their phone number at the time of purchase.
- If a seller accidentally enters a phone number that isn’t the customer’s.
- If an individual made a purchase on behalf of someone else and entered the other person’s phone number as the destination of a receipt, etc.