Learn how to sign up for Square Point of Sale online or in app, and review the information required to activate a Square account. If you have multiple businesses, learn how to set up multiple accounts with Square. If your business has multiple locations or entities with the same Company Registration Number (CRN), you can manage multiple locations or accounts within the single Square account.
Sign Up Online
- Go to the Square website > click Get Started.
- Enter and confirm your email address, create a password > click Create Account.
- Select your business type from the drop-down. Enter your business and personal information. Click Continue.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business information and to answer a few questions to verify your identity. When complete, click Continue.
- Enter your phone number or email address. We’ll send a link to your mobile device to download the Square app. Keep in mind that you can sign in to multiple devices using the same email address and password.
- Tap the email or text message link to download the app to your mobile device.
Sign Up In App
- Download Square Point of Sale to your mobile device.
- Tap Create Account to start the activation process.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business information and to answer a few questions to verify your identity.
Note: If you have trouble downloading the app, make sure you’re using a supported device.
Once you finish, you can immediately start accepting payments via manual entry. You can order a reader from the Square Shop, and the reader should arrive within 2-3 working days, or you can pick one up from one of our retail partners.
Information Required to Sign Up
Regulations require that Square understand and verify the company and personal information for those we are doing business with, therefore we are required to request the following information to activate a Square account:
- Account Holder Full Legal Name (first name, surname, second surname).
- Account Holder Residential Address.
- Account Holder Phone Number.
- Company Structure and Ownership Structure.
- Director, Shareholder, Partner, Owner or Beneficial Owner (Individuals or organisations with significant control or influence over the business) Legal Name, Residential Address and Date of Birth, as applicable.
- Legal and Trading Company Address.
- Company Registration Number (CRN), if applicable.
- VAT number, if applicable.
- UK-based bank account.
If you’re unable to provide the information above, you won’t be able to accept card payments, but you can still use Square to track cash payments and provide your customers with email and text receipts.
Square’s card processing system meets Level 1 PCI Data Security Standards, so Square has you covered.
Personal Detail Requirements
We are required by regulation to ask for the following information for account holder and business owners, shareholders, directors, partners and beneficial owners, as applicable. There is no way to create a Square account without this information.
- Full name.
- Date of birth.
- Registered residential address.
Even if you plan on using Square as a company or individual, in order to create a Square account you must provide your full name, home address and date of birth.
Note: Any employees added to the account by the Account Holder will not be required to provide additional personal information, except their full legal name.
Choose a Business Type
During the signup process you’ll need to classify how you’ll use Square by selecting your business type or Merchant Category Code. Square will use this information to provide you with the most suitable features to help you grow your business.
If you’ve already set your business type and would like to change it, contact us.
For a more comprehensive look at the many features available within Square Point of Sale, view the full Square Point of Sale Guide.