We offer a few different Square Readers so that you can access the latest and most secure hardware for your business:
- The Square Reader for magstripe: only accepts magstripe cards.
- The Square Reader for contactless and chip: accepts contactless (NFC) payments and chip cards.
Here are some important things to know about Square Readers:
- They are universal – one reader can be used with all supported devices.
- They’re not linked to any specific Square account or bank account.
- They can be shared among multiple Square accounts or locations.
- They don’t store specific account holder or buyer information. If your reader is lost or stolen, you can rest assured that your account information is stored safely and securely on our servers.
- The Square Reader for chip card and the Square Reader for contactless and chip both require charging, but the Square Reader for magstripe does not.
Decide what Square Reader is right for you by checking out this side-by-side comparison.
You’ll receive one free magstripe reader when you create a Square account for the first time. You can purchase additional magstripe readers for 10 dollars at any time. The Square Reader for Magstripe comes with two different connection types, headphone jack and Lightning. In all other ways, the two readers are exactly the same! Depending on the device you have, you can choose the connection type that is right for you.
Note: When paired with the contactless and chip reader, the magstripe reader can be used to swipe chip cards.
Contactless + Chip Reader
Accept contactless (NFC) payments, like Apple Pay and Android Pay, and chip cards with the Square Reader. This reader can be used alongside a Square Reader for magstripe or Square Stand for swipe payments. For more information, read Square’s comprehensive guide to NFC.
You can buy the Square Reader online through Square Shop or from one of our online retail partners:
Readers are also sold at Apple retail locations. Make sure to call or visit apple.com before stopping by to check if readers are in stock.
To hold the reader in place at your countertop, check out the Dock for Square Reader.