Devices Compatible with Square Contactless + Chip Reader
Apple iOS Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square contactless and chip card reader is supported on iOS devices with the following:
- Devices running iOS 10 or above. Learn how to update software on an iOS device.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 5 or higher for iOS. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
Most Apple iOS devices running the latest iOS version are compatible.
If you’re using Square Stand, you can connect the reader to your stand’s USB hardware hub to accept any payment type. Mobile devices not connected to Square Stand will connect wirelessly with the reader.
Note: iPad 2 will not connect wirelessly with the reader. If you use an iPad 2 + Square Stand, you’ll need to connect the reader to the stand’s USB hardware hub. If all three USB ports on the hub are occupied by other hardware, you’ll need to free up a port to plug in the reader, as Square doesn’t support third-party USB splitters.
Google Android Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square contactless + chip reader is supported on most Android devices with the following:
- Your Android device must be running Android 5 or higher.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 5 or higher for Android. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Built-in Bluetooth Low Energy.
We can’t guarantee support with all Android devices at the moment, but we’re working to support as many as possible. If your device isn’t currently on this list, there’s a chance it will be supported in the future.
If you have any problems with your reader, you can return it within 30 days.
You can also view the list of supported devices with the Square magstripe and chip card readers.
If your Device Doesn’t Have a Headphone Jack
The Square contactless + chip reader pairs wirelessly to mobile devices via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). There is no need to use a headphone jack adapter with this reader.