Square Beta Program
Beta features are hardware or software being tested by a subset of customers before they’re released to the public. As a member of the Square Beta Program, you’re eligible to try new features and products early.
The Square Beta Program is your opportunity to help us improve features and tools — in advance. We want to work with you to make sure our products are not only useful but invaluable for your business.
Learn more about how to Join Square’s Beta Program. You’ll need to download the Beta app for your device and begin taking payments to be eligible for new Beta features.
- You remain part of the Beta Program as long as you’re running the latest Beta app or Beta feature as part of your daily operations. For features specific to the online Square Dashboard, use of the Square Point of Sale Beta app may not be required.
- As a Beta merchant, you have access to information and features that are not available to the public. By downloading the Beta app or enabling Beta features within your settings, you agree to keep all information confidential until it is released to the public. Some features may be altered before release or not released at all. By keeping product details confidential until they are publicly announced, we can ensure that no incorrect information is made public. Review Square’s nondisclosure agreement.
- You can also join our online Seller Community, where you will be able to provide direct feedback to Square Beta Managers and Square Product Managers. In addition to a direct line of contact with Square, you will also be able to get invitations to beta test future Square offerings and discuss your experiences with a community of business owners like yourself.
Terms and Agreements
- You don’t need to make any changes to your phone or tablet to use the Beta application. Jailbreaking or removing the protections put in place by the operating system is against Square’s Terms and may be harmful to your device or prevent the Square application from working properly.
Feedback and Compensation
- You aren’t required to give feedback on the Beta product, but if you’d like to share your feedback, please contact us
- Participation is optional and not compensated. By participating and providing feedback in the Square Beta Program, you agree to our no-compensation policy.
- Occasionally, we will offer free hardware or other gifts or benefits. To be eligible for these Square Beta Program benefits, you should consistently use the Beta product on as many devices as possible. If you encounter an issue that prevents you from using the Beta, we ask you to tell us about it and use the App Store or Google Play version of Square Point of Sale until we can provide a fix.
If you notice a bug or issue with the app we ask that you report it.
If you’re unable to use the Beta app due to an issue you’re experiencing, please revert back to the App Store version on iOS devices. For Android, uninstall the beta by leaving the test group and then reinstall the Square POS app.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I update the Beta app? How often should I update?
On an iOS device, you will receive notifications a new app version is ready to test. To update the app, open TestFlight and tap Update. On Android devices, the Beta app will update automatically if automatic updates are enabled in Google Play. Square issues about two to three Beta app updates per 2 week release cycle.
How do I learn more about Beta features and fixes?
You can subscribe to email notifications for Product Updates from your online Square Dashboard.
How do I know if I’m enrolled in Square’s Beta Program?
If you’ve accepted a payment with the Square Beta app in the last 30 days, and keep your Beta app updated, you’ll be automatically invited to try new features when they’re available.
What fees are associated with the Beta Program?
Square’s standard processing and subscription fees apply to Beta use of Square applications.